Cranberry Wassail… According to Wikipedia, wassail is defined as “a hot, mulled cider traditionally drunk as an integral part of wassailing, a medieval southern English drinking ritual intended to ensure a good cider apple harvest the following year.”
We offer a more modern, vegan and non-alcoholic version of Cranberry Wassail. This cranberry juice based cocktail is flavored with apple cider, sugar, whole cinnamon sticks, allspice and a bit of ground nutmeg. We gave ours a squeeze of fresh orange juice. Garnish with orange slices or whole cloves and serve warm.
- 4 C Cranberry Juice
- 1-1/4 C Apple Cider
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 2 whole Cinnamon Sticks
- 1/2 tsp of whole Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 2 Tbl fresh Orange Juice
- Orange slices, cinnamon sticks and/or whole cloves for garnish
- In a saucepan, add the cranberry juice and apple cider.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon sticks, allspice and nutmeg.
- Heat to boiling and then reduce heat, simmering for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain to remove spices.
- Divide between 4 heat-safe punch glasses and serve warm.
- Garnish with orange slices, cinnamon sticks and/or whole cloves for garnish.