I love this cornbread! Light and fluffy…and delicious.
It is always my goal when “veganizing” a recipe to use as few substitutions as possible and to use ingredients that are easy for you to find in your local grocery or specialty store. This recipe contains a flax “egg” mixture. It is 2 Tbl of ground flax seed mixed with 3 Tbl of water, allowed to sit in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. It becomes gelatinous and works very well as an egg-replacer in most recipes. Flax seeds are widely available these days, or you can always order it on Amazon.com You won’t even know it’s in there!
This one pairs perfectly with our vegan Agave Butter!
- Vegetable Cooking Spray
- ¼ C vegan Margarine, such as Earth Balance
- 1 C Almond Milk
- 2 Tbl Ground Flax Seeds + 3 Tbl Water allowed to sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes
- 1-1/4 C Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 C All-Purpose Flour
- ½ C vegan Sugar
- 1-1/4 Tbl Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare an 8” square or 8” round cake pan with vegetable cooking spray. Then line with parchment and spray the parchment and sides of pan. This provides a very easy release.
- In a small saucepan, heat the margarine over low heat until melted. This can also be done in the microwave.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted margarine, almond milk and flax mixture with a whisk until well blended. Add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir until incorporated.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Smooth the top of the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the center of the cornbread should come out clean.
- Serve with our vegan Agave Butter and our Three Bean Butternut Squash Chili!