I’m always looking for unique ways to make sandwiches, subs and burgers. When I discovered hearts of palm, I must’ve come up with a dozen ideas for using it within minutes!
It’s flavor, if you haven’t had it, is similar to artichokes. It takes on a marinade rather well and can be used in a variety of ways from something like this, to something like a sloppy joe when shredded into pieces. Very versatile and easy to work with.
So what are they anyway? They come in a can, so look for it in your canned food aisle in the grocery store. Hearts of Palm are a vegetable harvested from the inner core and growing bud of certain palm trees. It’s tender and can be eaten on its own without cooking. It is commonly found served in salads. But today we made these Hearts of Palm Rolls with Garlic Aioli. I just love the end result. It tasted A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
Hearts of Palm come looking like this:
Using a very sharp serrated knife, we sliced them into 1/2″ rounds and seasoned them before searing both sides in a very hot grill pan. Some may break apart into rings and that’s just the nature of Hearts of Palm, but don’t worry, they’ll still taste just as good.
Garlic Aioli lines a split and toasted New England (or Hot Dog) Roll. It’s topped with a soft Butter or Boston lettuce, the seared Hearts of Palm and liberally drizzled with an herbed vegan margarine sauce.
We served ours with corn on the cob that we brushed with vegan margarine (we use Earth Balance brand) then a mixture of vegan parmesan, salt, pepper and finished with a sprinkle of parsley and my favorite topping, paprika. I’m kind of obsessed with paprika on corn. Trust me on this one 🙂
Doesn’t this look amazing? Once again proving that vegan doesn’t have to be boring and can be really flavorful.
- [u]FOR COOKING THE HEARTS OF PALM:[/u]
- 1 Can Hearts of Palm, sliced into 1/2″ rounds
- Cooking Spray
- [u]FOR THE SEASONING:[/u]
- Cayenne Pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Mrs. Dash Original (or other seasoning mixture of your choice)
- [u]FOR THE GARLIC AIOLI:[/u]
- 1/3 C vegan Mayonnaise, (we use [url href=”http://earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-mayo/”]Earth Balance Mindful Mayo[/url])
- 1/4 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbl Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Hot Sauce, to taste
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- [u]FOR THE SAUCE:[/u]
- 4 Tbl Vegan Margarine, (we use Earth Balance)
- 1 Tbl total of your choice of Herbs such as Parsley, Thyme, Tarragon and/or Chives
- Drain and rinse the Hearts of Palm. Slice in 1/2″ rounds. Pat dry.
- Combine all ingredients for the seasoning mix. Dip both sides of the Hearts of Palm into the seasoning mix.
- Heat a grill pan on medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Sear each side of the Hearts of Palm rounds.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the garlic aioli.
- Melt the margarine and add the herbs..
- To assemble, split the rolls and spread with the aioli.
- Top with Butter or Boston lettuce leaves. These types are much softer than say, an iceberg or romaine lettuce.
- Top with the seared Hearts of Palm and liberally spoon some of the herbed sauce over top. Any leftover sauce can be served on the side.
- We served ours with corn on the cob that we brushed with butter, rolled in a [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Nutritional-Foods-15503-Parmesan/dp/B0001A0ZHM”]vegan parmesan[/url], parsley and salt & pepper mixture. Finally, we sprinkled them with paprika.