Using leftover mashed potatos from Thanksgiving dinner (or any dinner really), you can create these Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes!
We added some GO Veggie! Vegan Dairy Free Shreds, coated with panko bread crumbs and topped with vegan sour cream from Tofutti and vegan “bacon” flavored bits! There are several brands available, or you could use coconut bacon. Additionally, you could add vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast to the breadcrumb mixture.
These Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and full of flavor!
- 1 Cup Leftover mashed potatos
- 1/2 Cup of Vegan Shredded Cheese (such as mozzarella)
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Sour Cream (plus more to garnish)
- 1/4 Cup Flour (plus more to coat)
- 2 Tbl Almond Milk (plus more to coat)
- OPTIONAL ALTERNATIVE: Instead of coating with almond milk, you could create a flax “egg” mixture consisting of 1 Tbl Ground Flax Seed + 3 Tbl of Water allowed to sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. This creates a very gelatinous mixture and works great to coat items prior to breading.
- 1 Tbl Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Soy Bacon-Flavored Bits
- 2 Tbl Vegan Butter (such as [url href=”http://earthbalancenatural.com/product/vegan-buttery-sticks/”]Earth Balance[/url])
- Combine all ingredients (except bread crumbs and bacon bits). If mixture is too sticky, you can add a little more flour.
- Form the mixture into patties and using a pastry brush, coat with almond milk. (We provide a flax “egg” coating alternative method above).
- Immediately coat in bread crumbs.
- In a saute pan over medium-high heat, melt the margarine and cook on each side until golden brown. About 3-5 minutes.
- For best results, serve while hot and cread crumbs are crispy.
- Top with vegan sour cream and “bacon” flavored bits.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.