It’s that time of year and I have pumpkin recipes GALORE planned for you…starting with this one! Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread. Served warm (or cold), this is a really moist version that is amazing just with a bit of vegan margarine on it.
What’s unique is that this recipe combines a traditional banana bread with the flavors of pumpkin bread. Two of my favorites all wrapped up into one 🙂
I topped it with a mixture of chopped walnuts and brown sugar, but you could choose to use pecans if you prefer. Additionally, you could choose to spice this up more than I did. Nutmget, ginger, etc. along with the cinnamon.
- [u]FOR THE BATTER:[/u]
- 1/8 C Oil (Coconut, Grapeseed, Canola, etc.)
- 1/4 C [url href=”http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/cultured-almond-milk”]Greek Style Cultured Almond Milk Yogurt[/url] (we love the [url href=”http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/cultured-almond-milk”]So Delicious Dairy Free[/url] brand) – you could use any plain non-dairy yogurt (coconut, almond, etc.)
- 2/3 C Brown Sugar
- 1 C Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 C Banana, mashed
- 2 Tbl Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 C Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 C All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbl Ground Flax Seed + 6 Tbl Water (allow to sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour – most of the water will be absorbed by the flax and it should be very gelatinous)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- [u]FOR THE TOPPING:[/u]
- 1/2 C Chopped Walnuts or Pecans + 1 Tbl Brown Sugar for the topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8″ loaf pan with Cooking Spray (or mini loaf pans as we did here)
- Combine the brown sugar and chopped walnut mixture. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all ingredients for the batter. It should be very thick like a traditional banana bread. Do not overmix.
- Pour into desired pan(s) and top with the sugar/walnut mixture. Press into the batter. As they rise during baking, the nuts tend to get pushed out a bit and will fall off. We want them to adhere to the batter so they are embedded after baking.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted comes clean. About 50-60 minutes for a full loaf, and maybe half of that for the mini loaves.