It’s finally fall and squash is plentiful and readily available everywhere it seems. I wanted to do something simple and light with this dish and I came up with Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Herbed Parmesan Sauce. It makes a perfect side, or a nice light lunch. I love this squash for its spaghetti-like strands, but it does require proper seasoning to avoid tasting bland. I think we’ve accomplished that here with lots of herbs, some melted vegan margarine and plenty of salt and pepper!
The most difficult part about this whole dish is waiting for the squash to roast. Depending on the size of the squash you choose, it can take up to an hour to become tender. But it’s worth the wait, I promise 🙂
The sauce requires basic ingredients we all have on hand and is perfectly simple. I use this sauce on a variety of vegetables. Vegan margarine, shallots, garlic, parsley and thyme. You could use any combination of herbs you prefer, but fresh is best when you are dealing with so few ingredients.
- [u]FOR THE SQUASH:[/u]
- Spaghetti Squash, seeded and roasted
- Oil, for brushing the squash
- Salt & Pepper
- [u]FOR THE SAUCE:[/u]
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegan Margarine (such as Earth Balance)
- 2 Shallots, minced
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1/4 C chopped fresh Parsley
- 2 Tbl grated vegan Parmesan (such as GO Veggie!, Parma, Parmela, etc.)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice a large Sqaghetti Squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds (taking care not to remove too much of the flesh) and very lightly brush with oil of your choosing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast (cut side down) on a lined cookie sheet until fork tender (about 40-60 minutes). The roasting time will depend greatly on the size of the squash.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add shallots and garlic and cook until softened.
- Stir in the thyme leaves and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Using a fork, scrape out the roasted spaghetti squash creating those spaghetti-like strands.
- Add squash to skillet and toss to combine. Cook until warmed through.
- Stir in parsley and Parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve in the hollowed out squash as we did here today.
- Garnish with parsley leaves and fresh thyme. Add another sprinkle of the vegan parmesan if you’d like 🙂