The process of becoming fully vegan for me has been, well…a process. As you may or may not know, this website was born out of a personal need to find ways to reinvent recipes for myself. Eventually, friends and family convinced me to create a blog full of my creations. Which brings us to the present where I am determined to continually do better as I know better and share what I learn with you. That includes reducing my sugar intake.
The timing of this two-post recipe/blog series with SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener came at a time when I had literally just had my blood work done. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my glucose was within normal limits, but I still knew that I wanted to do more to reduce my sugar intake and ideally, that number as well. I struggle with the same things that you do and my journey is far from over.
I chose SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener’s #GoodbyeSugar30 Challenge to help me do that and I hope you’ll join me. Where some stevia sweeteners have a bitter aftertaste, SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener is sweet – without the calories, added flavors or artificial ingredients. SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener gets its sweetness from a better tasting stevia leaf extract, so now we have a perfect blend that tastes great! For more information, visit SplendaNaturals.com.
I’m creating brand new recipes to help us all make this challenge a little bit easier, including the first one for Cabbage Soup below!
To kick start my health & fitness regime, I gathered up all of my essentials. My absolute favorite red running shoes (I don’t know why, but they make me happy :)), my phone with earbuds (of course) set on my workout playlist, heart rate monitor to make sure my cardio level is ideal to maximize burning calories, a bottle of water and to get a baseline, a tape measure. Now, I will say I am more focused on health than numbers, but I am a numbers kind of girl. I do count calories because it helps keep me accountable. But the one thing I won’t have to track now that I am using SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener, is sugar.
What is the #GoodbyeSugar30 Day Challenge?
SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener is challenging us to spot the places in your diet where sugar is added, and identify the occasions where you can easily swap out the added sugar and the calories with the delicious new SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener. The goal of this 30 day challenge is to give you the tools to make small changes in your lifestyle that can help you reduce added sugars and calories, without sacrificing taste.
Here are great ideas and tools to help you take the challenge:
- Sign up here to begin receiving tools and resources for participating in the Challenge. When you sign up, you’ll receive tips from nutrition expert, Keri Gans to get you started!
- You can also connect with others taking the Challenge by following SPLENDA® Brand on Facebook (I’ve joined!) and Twitter, joining the #GoodbyeSugar30 Challenge community and searching #GoodbyeSugar30.
- Get to know sugar. There are more than 60 names for sugar that may appear on the ingredients list of foods you buy or that are added during the cooking or preparation of the food you eat. Understanding these sugar terms is key to identifying, removing and/or replacing added sugars in your diet.
- Now that you know to look for, it’s time to start putting your sugar sleuthing skills into action. Go through your kitchen and spot the less obvious sources of added sugar in your refrigerator and pantry. On your next trip to the supermarket, read labels carefully and identify options without any, or with less added sugar. Ingredients are listed below the nutrition facts panel of a food label by weight. So sugar terms that appear further down the list will be present in smaller quantities than those in the beginning.
- Watch for places where you have total control over removing added sugar from your foods and drinks. Tea and coffee are great places to start. Rather than adding sugar to coffee, or honey to tea, add SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener instead. Some condiments, store bought sauces, and salad dressings can also pack in some added sugar, which you may not expect. Consider making your own. We have recipes to help!.
- As you take the Challenge and identify, remove, and/or replace the sources of added sugar and unwanted calories in your day, take a moment to ask yourself if you miss any of the added sugar you are cutting out. Tools like SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener can help to make this change not as difficult as you may have thought.
What you can look forward to from me…
So now that you are a bit more familiar with the challenge, I thought I’d give you a starter recipe featuring this Cabbage Soup. More recipes will follow & to find them on TheVegLife.com, just use the hashtag #GoodbyeSugar30 as I’ll be tagging them for you. Be sure to use that same hashtag to search social media, as some of my fellow bloggers will be adding theirs as well!
LOW-CALORIE CABBAGE SOUP Recipe (for the full blog post with more detailed instructions, simply click here)
So, what do you say? Will you Say Goodbye to Sugar for 30 Days with Me? Post your comments, suggestions, recipe requests, your own recipes, etc. in the comments section below. Or you can take a pic of your recipe and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #theveglife and tag @theveglife1. I would love to see it!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.