Dinner for one: You know those times when you really just want something simple? Well this no-fuss whole wheat Spaghetti Corn Salsa fits the bill! It is as the name implies…a corn salsa over pasta with a mustard vinaigrette. You could use any pasta really, I just love the way the whole wheat spaghetti looks in this particular dish.
Flecked with colors of spring vegetables such as corn, carrots, celery, red onions, yellow squash and zucchini it’s a light, but hearty meal that you can whip up in no time at all! We chose to cut the corn off the cob in short “planks” for presentation purposes. You could also increase the vegetable to pasta ratio if you wish.
The vinaigrette is made up of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar and dry mustard and adds just the perfect amount of flavor to the dish. I sauteed the vegetables while the pasta and corn were cooking. All in all, it was done in less than 20 minutes from prep to table. Seriously simple!
- 2 oz. Whole Wheat Spaghetti
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 ear of Fresh Corn
- 1 small Zucchini, chopped
- 1 small Yellow Squash, chopped
- 2 Tbl Red Onion, diced
- ½ small Celery Stalk, chopped
- 1 small Carrot, diced
- 1 small Roma Tomato, chopped
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- 2 Tbl Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Tbl Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Dry Mustard Powder
- ⅛ tsp Celery Seed, if desired
- FOR GARNISH:
- Fresh Green Onions, Chives or Parsley
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the corn cob 8-10 minutes (or until tender) and allow to cool slightly enough to handle. Using a sharp knife, slice the corn off the cob in short planks. You could also just use loose kernels.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the spaghetti for 7-8 minutes or until desired tenderness. Drain and rinse.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan with 1 tsp of vegetable oil, saute all of the vegetables except those using for garnish, just until tender. About 7-8 minutes on medium heat.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together all of the ingredients. Whisk again just prior to serving to incorporate.
- Toss the pasta and vegetables together. Top with the vinaigrette (I like to use these cute little individual oil cruets for serving). They can be found at most craft or kitchen stores...and of course, on Amazon.com 😉
- Serve warm!
- This is a recipe for one, but can be very easily doubled, etc.