I love pasta! And when I was creating this recipe, I wanted something that would really stand up to the thick sauce. Linguine would work in a heartbeat, of course.
My family will tell you that wherever we shop, if I find pasta I might possibly need in the future, I buy it. I have a pantry full of them 🙂 Udon noodles being one of those and they worked perfectly in this application. In fact, I think better than fettucini in that they had a bit more substance to them. Doesn’t it look yummy?
The best part of this recipe is that all of the veggies (except the mushrooms) get chopped in the food processor…which takes about 10 seconds. Love a timesaver! I quartered and sauteed the mushrooms partially before adding them to the veggie mix as I just don’t like them overcooked.
Next comes the lentils. Continue to saute until the water is nearly evaporated.
The diced tomatos and their juices are next. Simmer until nearly all of the juices have reduced. This will only intensify the flavor. Taste for seasoning and add a bit more salt or pepper, if needed.
Cook the udon noodles according to the package instructions. Don’t overcook.
Drain the noodles and combine with the sauce. Top with vegan parmesan (I’ve had alot of questions about where to find this. There are several brands available on the market, but you can search Amazon.com for ‘vegan parmesan’ and get a few options if you can’t find one in your area).
Serve with thin crusty bread, if desired. Enjoy! 🙂
- 1 C fresh Mushrooms, quartered & sauteed
- 1 Shallot, chopped
- 1/2 clove Garlic (omit if you don’t care for garlic)
- 1 Medium Carrot, chopped
- 1 Celery stalk, chopped
- 2 Tbl Olive or Vegetable Oil
- 8 oz. can green or brown lentils, drained (you could also use dry lentils that you have cooked & drained)
- 1/8 C White Wine (Optional) – for a comprehensive vegan wine database, please visit: www.barnivore.com to do a search
- 8 oz. Diced Tomatos, with juices
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Vegan Parmesan
- 4 oz. Udon Noodles (found in the Asian section, or you could just use Fettucini)
- Parsley or Chives to garnish, if desired
- Chop the mushrooms.
- In a food processor, coarsely chop the carrot, garlic, shallot and celery.
- In a large pot, add the oil over medium heat. Stir in the processed mixture and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender. Add the lentils and wine (if desired) and cook until liquid has nearly evaporated. Stir in tomatos with juices. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until all of the liquid has evaporated. Stir frequently to avoid scorching. The sauce will be very thick. Taste and season again with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Cook the udon noodles according to the package instructions and drain well.
- Top with vegan parmesan with a little parsley and/or chives to garnish, if desired.