In my family, we like to make appetizers for Christmas Eve instead of a full meal. There were a few that appeared year after year. A cheese ball was always present. This Vegan Cream Cheese Spread substitutes the original cream cheese, cheddar and margarine for their vegan counterparts, but the rest of the ingredients remain similar to the original recipe. That recipe dates back to the 70’s from our old Betty Crocker cookbook 🙂
The vegan cream cheese is a bit firmer than regular cream cheese which actually aids in forming this pinecone shape. However, you’ll still want to chill the mixture before doing so. We inserted whole roasted and salted almonds to resemble the pine cone “scales”. You could use sliced almonds and overlap them slightly if you prefer.
Insert a sprig of rosemary and serve with your favorite vegan crackers. Triscuits fall into that “accidentally vegan” category which makes it really easy!
- 1 C Vegan Cheddar Shreds (such as [url href=”http://followyourheart.com/products/cheddar-shreds-10/”]Vegan Gourmet[/url])
- 3 oz. Vegan Cream Cheese, (such as [url href=”http://www.tofutti.com/dairy-free-cheeses/cream-cheese/better-than-cream-cheese/”]Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese[/url]) softened
- 1 Tbl [url href=”http://earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/”]Earth Balance Buttery Spread[/url], softened
- 1-2 Tbl Almond Milk, (such as [url href=”http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/almond-plus-almond-milk-beverages/unsweetened-almond-plus-almond-milk-beverage”]So Delicious[/url])
- 1-1/2 tsp Chopped Chives
- 1 Tbl Pimento, diced
- 1/2 tsp Worchestershire (be sure yours is vegan-friendly)
- 1-2 dashes Hot Sauce
- 2 Tbl Parsley, chopped
- Whole Roasted Salted Almonds (or you can use sliced almonds)
- Combine the softened cream cheese, Earth Balance and vegan cheddar.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend well.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- Mold into a pinecone shape and insert almonds.
- Serve chilled with vegan-friendly crackers, such as Triscuits.