In my family, we like to make appetizers for Christmas Eve instead of a full meal. There were a few that appeared year after year. A cheese ball was always present. This Vegan Cream Cheese Spread substitutes the original cream cheese, cheddar and margarine for their vegan counterparts, but the rest of the ingredients remain similar to the original recipe. That recipe dates back to the 70’s from our old Betty Crocker cookbook 🙂
The vegan cream cheese is a bit firmer than regular cream cheese which actually aids in forming this pinecone shape. However, you’ll still want to chill the mixture before doing so. We inserted whole roasted and salted almonds to resemble the pine cone “scales”. You could use sliced almonds and overlap them slightly if you prefer.
Insert a sprig of rosemary and serve with your favorite vegan crackers. Triscuits fall into that “accidentally vegan” category which makes it really easy!
Vegan Cream Cheese Spread
- 1 C Vegan Cheddar Shreds such as Vegan Gourmet
- 3 oz. Vegan Cream Cheese (such as Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese) softened
- 1 Tbl Earth Balance Buttery Spread softened
- 1-2 Tbl Almond Milk (such as So Delicious)
- 1-1/2 tsp Chopped Chives
- 1 Tbl Pimento diced
- 1/2 tsp Worchestershire be sure yours is vegan-friendly
- 1-2 dashes Hot Sauce
- 2 Tbl Parsley chopped
- Whole Roasted Salted Almonds or you can use sliced almonds
Combine the softened cream cheese, Earth Balance and vegan cheddar.
Add the remaining ingredients and blend well.
Refrigerate for several hours.
Mold into a pinecone shape and insert almonds.
Serve chilled with vegan-friendly crackers, such as Triscuits.