This vegetarian recipe for Tortellini with Tomato Cream Sauce contains just five ingredients and can be on your table in less than 20 minutes! It’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you are short on time, but want a delicious dinnertime experience your whole family can enjoy.
Buitoni is my favorite go-to fresh pasta. It’s simple, fresh and versatile. I like to get creative and make a plethora of different recipes using this three cheese tortellini, but also enjoy Buitoni’s other vegetable-infused pastas such as the mushroom agnolotti.
You’ll find the Buitoni vegetable-infused pastas in the refrigerated section of your local grocery store.
For our tomato cream sauce, I first sauteed onions in a teaspoon of oil just until tender and slightly golden. I then deglaze the pan while it’s really hot with a splash of white wine (you could also use vegetable broth). I keep it over medium high heat just until the alcohol cooks off. This doesn’t take long. Next I add a can of diced tomatoes. I like petite diced, but whatever you have on hand is fine. Allow the tomatoes to cook for about five minutes or so. The final ingredient is heavy cream. You could opt for canned coconut milk or cashew cream, if you prefer. Allow the mixture to cook and thicken slightly. I tend to cook my pasta simultaneously. The tortellini only take about 7 minutes.
I like to slightly under cook the tortellini and finish it in the sauce. I think it really absorbs the flavor of the sauce. Add a handful of freshly chopped Italian parsley for color.
I always have a variety of pasta on hand, as well as the marinara and basil pesto … which I’ll use for another quick meal later in the week!
Doesn’t that look yummy? I have the hardest time not sampling at this point.
I like to serve my pasta with buttered Texas toast that I rub with fresh garlic cloves. Maybe a small side salad with a simple vinaigrette and dinner is ready!
No one wants to spend hours in the kitchen preparing a meal. It’s about spending quality time with your family. Buitoni freshly made pastas contain no GMO ingredients and make for a great vegetarian dinner that you can feel good about serving your family. Just a quick note: while most of their products are vegetable-infused, they are not all vegetarian.
If you make this recipe for Tortellini with Tomato Cream Sauce, let me know in the comment section below what you thought.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Tortellini with Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 C Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 small Onion diced
- 1/4 C White Wine (or Vegetable Broth)
- 15 oz can Petite Diced Tomatoes with the juices
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 C Heavy Cream (or Canned Coconut Milk)
- Parsley for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook for 7 minutes. Drain.
- Add the wine to the hot pan and cook until the alcohol evaporates and reduces.
- Add the diced tomatoes, salt and pepper simmering for about 5 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream (or coconut milk) and cook until reduced.
- Add the cooked tortellini to the sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with fresh parsley and toasted garlic bread, if desired.