For months I have been trying to come up with a vegan meatball that would hold up in this dish, but I haven’t quite perfected it yet. When I decided I wanted to make this Mushroom Stroganoff, I realized it would be really good with just mushroom caps … eliminating the meatballs altogether. Now, you could certainly buy pre-made vegan meatballs if you’d like and slice up the mushrooms. Feel free to make it your own.
I was very pleased with how it turned out!
The entire dish is made stove top. I love a one-pot meal! I mean, who doesn’t?
We started by sauteeing the mushrooms and then removing them to prepare the sauce. They finish cooking together allowing the perfect amount of time to cook up some egg-free wide pasta noodles! If you can’t find the egg-free version of wide egg noodles, any egg-free pasta will do.
The stroganoff sauce is made with some of the traditional ingredients, vegan-style of course. Dijon mustard, vegan worcestershire sauce, vegan creamer (we love the So Delicious brand!) and vegetable stock. We created a roux with the stock and some all-purpose flour. This helps thicken the sauce. Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper.
You can serve with a dollop of vegan sour cream and garnish with a bit of fresh parsley. This one was a winner for me. I think you’ll really enjoy it 🙂 Let me know what you think in the comments section below!!
- 3/4 – 1 lb. Baby Bella or White Button Mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 Tbl vegan Margarine (such as Earth Balance Sticks) for the sauce
- 1 tsp Oil + 1 tsp vegan Margarine for sauteeing the mushrooms
- 1 Tbl All Purpose Flour
- 1-1/4 C Vegetable Stock
- 3/4 Tbl Dijon Mustard
- 1-1/2 Tbl vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1-1/2 tsp Agave Nectar
- 1 C vegan [url href=”http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/almond-milk-creamers”]So Delicious Dairy Free Almond or Coconut Milk Creame[/url]r (use So Delicious Dairy Free Almond or Coconut [u]Milk[/u] if you can’t find the creamer. The creamer is just a little bit thicker in consistency)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Parsley, for garnish
- Egg-Free Wide Pasta Noodles or pasta of your choosing
- Remove the stems from 1 pound of baby bella or white button mushrooms leaving only the caps. Wipe clean of any dirt, do not rinse or submerse in water.
- Add 1 tsp vegan margarine plus 1 tsp of oil to a skillet over medium heat.
- Place mushroom caps in stem side down and saute until just starting to become tender and browned. Flip once. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining margarine and once melted, add the flour. Stir until it forms a smooth paste-like consistency.
- Now add the vegetable stock. Increase the heat to medium-high bringing to a light boil, whisking to remove all of the flour from the pan and incorporate with the stock. Allow to boil and thicken for a few minutes.
- Add the mustard, 1 tsp of Salt, agave and worcestershire sauce. Now add the [url href=”http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/almond-milk-creamers”]creamer[/url] and continue on a slow boil but keep a CLOSE eye on this so it doesn’t boil over. It should reduce by almost half.
- Add the mushrooms back to the pan, once again stem side down.
- Allow to cook until mushrooms are warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve atop egg-free wide pasta noodles, or pasta of your choosing.
- Garnish with a dollop of vegan sour cream and a bit of parsley, if desired.