Green Mac and Cheese. Trust me on this one. It will become your new favorite!
First you have the sauce which is made with pureed spinach, vegan creamer and a roux. Then we add vegan parmesan, broccoli and peas to the pasta. We chose campanelle pasta, but you could use cavatappi, macaroni…any shape really. I like something larger because it stands up to the size of the broccoli but you could always chop the broccoli into smaller pieces if you prefer to use a smaller shaped pasta.
I saw this recipe quite some time ago on an episode of The Chew but I wasn’t sure that the vegan parmesan would translate well in place of the white cheddar. I think it did quite well!
- 1/2 Lb Campanelle Pasta
- 1-1/2 C non-dairy Milk, I use Almond Milk
- 1/2 C packed fresh Spinach
- 1-1/2 Tbl vegan Margarine
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Flour
- 1 C vegan Parmesan
- 1 C Broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup Peas
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook pasta in salted water for about 2 minutes less than package directions in a large pot.
- Drain the pasta reserving about half a cup of that starchy pasta water.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor on high speed, blend the spinach with the milk until smooth.
- In the same large pasta pot, melt the butter and then add the flour, whisking continuously over low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes to create a roux. Slowly whisk in the milk mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce is gently bubbling and starting to thicken.
- Add reserved pasta water and cheese and whisk until melted.
- Microwave the broccoli until slightly tender to give it a bit of a head start.
- Stir in the pasta, broccoli and peas gently mixing until combined.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish and top with a spinkle of parmesan (we used individual portion baking dishes) and bake for 20 minutes. Pasta should be set.