If you are a lover of fudgy, chewy brownies…these Easy Vegan Brownies are for YOU! 🙂 For those of you who prefer a cake-like brownie, stay tuned. I’m working on that version as well.
Before you begin…
The first step is a really important one. You need to line your 8″ x 8″ baking pan with parchment. I also gave it a quick spritz of cooking spray. Probably overkill, but I didn’t want to risk the brownies sticking.
The parchment really makes removal from the pan easier. I am all for that!
To make the chocolate mixture:
I’m using a vegan-friendly unsweetened chocolate (so 100% cacao) and you should definitely check your labels. Not all unsweetened chocolate is vegan-friendly.
Using a sharp knife, chop it into fine pieces or shreds. This just makes the melting process quicker.
Next, add cocoa powder to the chopped chocolate.
Lastly, boiling water. This will help melt and combine the chocolate and cocoa.
For the dry mixture…
In a separate bowl, add all purpose flour.
And granulated sugar. Any alternate granulated sugar or sugar blend works here.
I am using baking powder for a little rise in my brownies.
And a scant 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Whisk the dry ingredients together to combine before proceeding.
Add the liquids…
To the flour, add vanilla extract.
And finally, any neutral flavored oil suitable for baking.
You’ll also be adding the chocolate mixture and give it a good mix.
Fold in the chocolate chips. Please note, this is a very thick batter so don’t get too concerned 🙂
You’ll want to use an offset spatula (or your hands) to spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 20-25 minutes (every oven cooks differently) until a toothpick inserted comes clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, using the parchment, lift the brownies onto a rack to continue cooling completely.
Using a sharp (or serrated) knife, cut into squares. I love how the chocolate chips are all gooey in there. Yum! There are crispy edges for the edge-lovers out there. You know who you are 😉
Did you make this recipe for Easy Vegan Brownies? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
And if you enjoyed the recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER!
Easy Vegan Brownies
FOR THE FLOUR MIXTURE:
- 1 c All Purpose Flour
- 1-1/4 c Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt (or up to 1/4 tsp, to taste)
FOR THE CHOCOLATE MIXTURE:
- 1/2 c Boiling Water
- 1-1/2 oz. Unsweetened Chocolate chopped
- 1/3 c PLUS 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 c Vegetable Oil
- 1-1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 c Bittersweet OR Semisweet Chocolate Chips vegan-friendly, of course
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8" x 8" baking pan with parchment. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix together the cocoa powder, unsweetened chocolate and the boiling water. Stir until well combined.
- Add the vanilla and oil to the flour, along with the melted chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and using an offset spatula, spread into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes (every oven bakes differently) until a toothpick inserted comes clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan and then remove to a rack to cool completely before cutting into squares.