Vegan Cheeseburger Soup
Many of my friends make this soup for Superbowl Sunday and I wanted to see if I could make it vegan. The best compliment after tasting the soup was, "you don't really miss the cheese at all!" We substituted soy crumbles, created a "cheesey" sauce instead of using Velveeta and topped with just a small amount of shredded vegan mexican blend cheese.
Tried this recipe?Mention or Tag me @aimee_stock
- ½ C vegan Ground Crumbles such as Boca
- ¼ C plus 1 Tbl Onion chopped
- ¼ C plus 1 Tbl Carrots shredded
- ¼ C plus 1 Tbl Celery diced
- ½ tsp fresh Parsley
- 2 Tbl vegan Margarine such as Earth Balance
- 1-1/2 C Vegetable Broth
- 2 C Potatos cubed
- 1/8 C All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ C Almond Milk
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1/8-1/4 C vegan Sour Cream
- 8 oz. Yellow Corn defrost if frozen
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Cayenne
- 1/4 C plus 1 Tbl Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder not Garlic Salt
- 1-1/2 tsp Onion Powder not Onion Salt
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard
- Garnish with Soy "bacon-flavored" bits a bit of sour cream and parsley, if desired.
- In a small saucepan, warm and slightly brown the soy crumbles. Set aside.
- In a stockpot with 1 Tbl of margarine, add the shredded carrots, celery, onion and parsley and saute until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the broth, cubed potatos and the crumbles. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatos are tender.
- In a small skillet, melt 1 Tbl of margarine and add 1/8 C of flour. Stir until it comes together and cook for a minute to remove the flour taste.
- Add to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients for the "cheese" sauce. This is where the nutritional yeast gives both color and flavor.
- Add this, the almond milk and season with salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Top with sour cream, soy bacon bits and parsley.
- Serve with our Chia and Flax Seed Flatbread!