When researching recipes, I always like to see if I can use them in more ways than one and this was the case with our Brown Sugar Barbecue Baked Beans.
Here’s a take on the British Grilled Cheese, an open-faced grilled sandwich with melted cheese popular in the United Kingdom.
Toppings are optional and varied, but we used those Brown Sugar Barbecue Baked Beans of ours. Followed by thick slices of tomato that are drizzled with a vegan worcestershire sauce (don’t skip this one, it really adds to the flavor), vegan cheesy shreds (both mozzarella and cheddar style mixed) and green onions.
The bread is toasted prior to assembly and then placed under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese. We did the entire recipe using a toaster oven (already too hot in Arizona for the oven 😉
I get asked a lot about which cheeses I use. My favorite (and I don’t promote or receive any compensation from them, they just happen to be one of my personal favorites). They are: http://followyourheart.com/vegangourmetshreds Of course, you should use whatever your favorite cheese is. Some brands are also more accessible than others depending on where you happen to live.
This sandwich is best served hot straight from the broiler. The vegan cheese, which is notoriously challenging to melt, also happens to do better when placed under the broiler.
- 2 Plum Tomatos
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 thick slices of sandwich bread, Texas Toast bread if you can find it
- ½ C of our Brown Sugar Barbecue Baked Beans
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire Sauce (Make sure it's vegan! Most commercially available brands are made using anchovies)
- ¼ C vegan Shredded Cheese (such as: http://followyourheart.com/vegangourmetshreds) We mixed the mozzerella with the cheddar)
- 1 Green Onion (Scallion), sliced
- chopped Parsley for garnish, if desired
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a toaster, toast the bread until evenly browned all over. Top each slice with ¼ C of the baked beans.
- Cover with thick slices of Roma tomatos. Drizzle with vegan worcestershire sauce, then sprinkle with the shredded cheeses.
- Top with green onions (scallions) and broil until golden and melted.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately.