Looking for a last-minute appetizer for the holidays? This Wild Mushroom Pate is not only stunning…but easy to make! The mushrooms, onions and leeks are cooked prior to being pureed and then refrigerated in mini loaf pans to get that classic shape. We topped ours with additional sauteed mushrooms and leeks. It’s not only tasty, but it lets your guests know what’s inside of the pate.
For the pate, we sauteed mushrooms, shallots and leeks in a bit of oil. Reserve some for the topping. Let cool.
In a small pan, we toasted the walnuts. You could also do this in the oven or toaster oven. Reserve a few for garnish, if desired.
Once the mushroom mixture has cooled, we add it to a food processor along with the walnuts, cream cheese, parsley, thyme, hot sauce, lemon juice and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. Puree until smooth. This gets spooned into mini loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray and lined with plastic wrap. Chill for several hours until firm. You could also serve this warm if you prefer.
Serve with crackers or homemade bruschetta and top with the remaining mushroom and leek mixture.
- [u]FOR THE PATE:[/u]
- 1 Tbl Oil of your choosing
- 8 oz. Wild Mushrooms
- 1 medium Shallot, minced
- 1 Leek, chopped
- 6 oz. vegan Cream Cheese
- 2 Tbl Toasted Walnuts, Ground finely
- 3 Tbl fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbl fresh Thyme leaves, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Hot Sauce
- 1 Tbl Lemon Juice
- Salt, to taste
- [u]FOR THE TOPPING:[/u]
- 4 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 C Leek, chopped
- Coarsely Chopped Toasted Walnuts, if desired
- Parsley, for garnish
- Spray mini loaf pans with non-stick spray and line with plastic wrap.
- In a saute pan, add the oil, onion and leeks, sauteeing for a few minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until beginning to brown. Cool slightly.
- Once the mushroom mixture has cooled, add it to a food processor along with the walnuts, cream cheese, parsley, thyme, hot sauce, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Press the mixture firmly into desired prepared loaf pans.
- Chill for several hours before gently remove from the pan.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Top with additional sauteed mushrooms and leeks. Garnish with parsley.
- Serve either warm or cold with crackers.