I love these muffins! A basic banana batter topped with a walnut streusel that makes this more like a coffee cake than a muffin. Perfect with a morning cup of tea (or coffee). These store well in an airtight container for a few days. A super simple recipe to get your morning started 🙂
Banana Walnut Muffins
- 1/4 C vegan Margarine softened
- 1/4 C vegan Sugar
- 1/4 C Applesauce
- 3/4 C Mashed Ripe Banana
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 C All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/4 stick vegan Margarine melted
- 2 Tbl Walnuts chopped
- 2 Tbl vegan Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbl All-Purpose Flour
- In a small bowl, mix together the margarine, walnuts, brown sugar and flour for the topping using your fingers until crumbly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the margarine and sugar. Add the applesauce and the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to the creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Spray muffin cups with cooking spray OR use paper liners. Fill 2/3 full with batter. Do not overfill.
- Finish with a sprinkle of the topping mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.