I love these muffins! A basic banana batter topped with a walnut streusel that makes this more like a coffee cake than a muffin. Perfect with a morning cup of tea (or coffee). These store well in an airtight container for a few days. A super simple recipe to get your morning started 🙂
Banana Walnut Muffins
- 1/4 C vegan Margarine softened
- 1/4 C vegan Sugar
- 1/4 C Applesauce
- 3/4 C Mashed Ripe Banana
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 C All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/4 stick vegan Margarine melted
- 2 Tbl Walnuts chopped
- 2 Tbl vegan Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbl All-Purpose Flour
- In a small bowl, mix together the margarine, walnuts, brown sugar and flour for the topping using your fingers until crumbly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the margarine and sugar. Add the applesauce and the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to the creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Spray muffin cups with cooking spray OR use paper liners. Fill 2/3 full with batter. Do not overfill.
- Finish with a sprinkle of the topping mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
What great pictures! These are wonderful and I love to streusel toppings! I made a great mango muffin is a streusel topping, but I really should do them more. Thanks for the idea!
i followed all the directions and the muffins came out horrible
Hi Kayla, I’m so sorry you had that experience. I’ve made these several times since first posting in 2014 without issue. I do have this on my list to re-test and update the post with more photos so please stay tuned. In the meantime, I do hope you’ll check out some of the other recipes on the site 🙂