I love this variation on chili. Made with chunks of eggplant, black beans and lentils. It’s both light and hearty at the same time. I added other layers of flavor too in the form of celery, carrots and onion. We used fire roasted tomatos and diced tomatos which made it spicy enough for me (kind of a lightweight 😉 but you could always add chile powder to the level of heat you desire.
I am thinking I might try this in a lasagna as the sauce layers. May be interesting… I’ll keep you posted 🙂
- 1 C Lentils cooked to package instructions
- 1/2 Can Black Beans
- 1 small Eggplant cubed
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 1 stalk Celery diced
- 1 large Carrot diced
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes you could also use crushed tomatos
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 C Vegetable Broth
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Chile Powder to level of desired heat
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Parsley for garnish
- Add vegetable oil to a large stock pot. Saute the onion, celery and carrots until tender.
- Add the cubed eggplant and cook until tender.
- Add the Fire Roasted (or Crushed) Tomatoes and the Diced Tomatoes.
- Cook dried lentils to package instructions. You can use vegetable broth instead of water for added flavor.
- Add in the lentils and black beans.
- Add the broth. It will still appear pretty thin at this point. Simmer for an hour or until thickened and cooked down.
- Serve with a dollop of vegan sour cream and/or parsley, if desired.