I’ve been kind of obsessed with veganizing Mexican-inspired dishes lately and this Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole hit the spot. I added a few non-traditional ingredients such as portobellos, organic creamed corn and vegan parmesan topping. It may not be authentic, but it sure is delicious. While you can serve this on it’s own, I actually serve them in soft tortillas. Have you seen these Old El Paso Stand ‘N Stuff Soft Flour Tortillas yet? I’m not sponsored by them, they are just my favorite!
I began with pre-cooked rice. In this case, for added flavor, I used this Saffron Yellow Rice from Mahatma. While that was cooking, I chopped two portobello mushrooms and sauteed them in a small amount of oil. Again, to build another layer of flavor, I seasoned them with onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.
Once the rice is fully cooked, I added organic creamed corn, vegan parmesan, enchilada sauce and mild green chilis. I add this mixture to an oven-safe pan and top with the sauteed mushrooms. I also sprinkled fresh corn and a bit of vegan mexican shredded cheese on top. Garnish with fresh tomatos, parsley and green onions. I serve mine with vegan sour cream. Doesn’t this look amazing?
You could add black beans instead of mushrooms … or add both. The idea is to add what YOU like and make this dish your own. It was so good, I went back for seconds 🙂
Before you go, why not check out some of our recent videos and be sure to subscribe to the YouTube Channel! 🙂
Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole
FOR THE RICE MIXTURE:
- 5 oz package of Mahatma brand Saffron Rice or you could use the same amount of another rice - prepare according to package directions
- ½ C Organic Creamed Corn
- ½ C Mild Enchilada Sauce
- 1-2 tbsp Mild Green Chiles
- ¼ C Parmesan Topping
FOR THE MUSHROOMS:
- 2 Portobellos stems removed and chopped
- 1 tsp Oil of your choosing
- ⅛ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Pepper
- Vegan Mexican Shredded Cheese
- Fresh or Frozen Corn
- 1 Roma Tomato diced
- 1 Green Onion sliced
- Sour Cream
- Parsley for garnish
- Prepare rice to package instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, add the mushrooms to a hot saute pan with 1 tsp of oil. Add the seasonings and continue to saute until browned and tender. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- To the cooked rice, add the enchilada sauce, creamed corn, green chiles and vegan parmesan.
- Spray an oven-safe pan (such as cast iron) with cooking spray. Add the rice mixture and spread evenly.
- Top with the mushroom mixture.
- Add the fresh (or frozen) corn and a light sprinkling of vegan mexican shredded cheese.
- Bake until thick and bubbling.
- Top with fresh tomatos and green onions.
- Serve with vegan sour cream and garnish with parsley.