This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BarillaGlutenFree #CollectiveBias
I have been leaning more and more towards a gluten free lifestyle lately. Because of that, I was thrilled to be given this opportunity to partner with Barilla® Gluten Free. Today, I’m bringing you my recipe for this Creamy Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Pasta with Sage.
I found the Barilla® Gluten Free pastas at my local Scottsdale, AZ Fry’s Food & Marketplace. Located in the pasta aisle – just look for that light blue gluten free label. Visit the link to access the digital coupon!
Barilla® Gluten Free pasta is made with non-GMO corn and rice, with a taste and texture similar to “regular” pasta.
Since we’re keeping this recipe simple, I started with freshly minced garlic. One clove, two cloves…I’ll leave that up to you 🙂 For just a hint, add the whole clove to the broth and remove it before serving.
I added my minced garlic to vegetable broth. I am also trying to reduce my use of oil and sauteeing in a tablespoon or two of broth is a great option! Once it has had time to cook a bit, add the remaining broth.
Pure pumpkin puree is up next. Whisk until smooth.
After it has cooked for a minute or two, I add the coconut milk. This is just canned coconut milk at room temperature (shake before opening). A few spoonfuls should do.
Your pasta should be cooked by now (it only takes about 10 minutes). Add it to the pumpkin cream sauce and toss to coat. As a rule, I generally under cook my pasta in the boiling water by a minute or so, allowing it to finish in the sauce. What this does, is allow the pasta to absorb the flavors of my sauce.
A pinch of salt, freshly cracked black pepper to taste and my secret ingredient…Chinese Five Spice powder. You could use a pre-made pumpkin spice, but since this was a savory dish, I thought I’d try it. It was a great choice. Five spice is just that. It contains: cinnamon, fennel, cloves, star anise and white pepper.
The final touch is some fresh sage. I found this little bouquet of sage at Fry’s. It smells divine!
I was extremely pleased with the end result and I think you will be too! I garnished with a few salted pumpkin seeds but also a sprinkling of my new obsession. I took a handful of those same pumpkin seeds, placed them in my spice grinder with a pinch of sugar to make a pumpkin seed “parmesan” topping. It’s mostly salty with a hint of sweet.
Also, be sure to visit Barilla and show them some love on their social media accounts here —>
Creamy Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Pasta with Sage
- 4 oz Barilla Gluten Free Spaghetti
- 1/2 c PLUS 3 Tbl Vegetable Broth
- 1-2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 c Pumpkin Puree
- 3 tbsp Canned Coconut Milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Chinese Five Spice OR Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste
- Fresh Sage
- Boil pasta per package instructions. I like to under cook by a minute or two and finish in the sauce.
- In a large saute pan, add 3 tbsp of the vegetable broth and the minced garlic. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining broth and pumpkin puree. Cook for few minutes, stirring to combine.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for a minute or two. Add the Chinese Five Spice OR Pumpkin Pie Spice, salt and pepper.
- Toss the pasta into the sauce to coat and cook for two minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- Serve with chopped fresh sage and taste for seasoning. Add additional salt and pepper as required.
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: Whole pumpkin or coarsely ground pumpkin seeds.