~RECIPE UPDATED 10/6/17~
In continuing with our theme of holiday recipes, this Vegan Creamed Spinach was so incredibly easy to make and was ready in under just 20 minutes. Who doesn’t love a quick and easy side dish?
But how does it taste, you ask? It is super creamy and flavorful, much like the original but with all vegan ingredients. Speaking of those ingredients, it is simply vegan margarine (or coconut oil, if you prefer), flour and vegetable broth which creates the base of our white sauce.
While you could certainly use all frozen spinach, I chose to use both fresh and frozen for both texture and flavor.
That dreamy, creamy texture comes from vegan sour cream OR cashew cream OR even coconut cream. It gets folded in right at the end. I season with salt and pepper and add freshly ground nutmeg. Garnish with a sprig of fresh parsley and serve hot. This makes about 4 servings as a side dish.
Did you make this recipe for Vegan Creamed Spinach? Did you make any changes? If so, please leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. It’s often your feedback that encourages other readers to try my recipes, so I really appreciate your input and feedback.
And, if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Vegan Creamed Spinach
- 2 bags of pre-washed fresh Spinach
- 16 oz . bag of Frozen Spinach defrosted and liquid squeezed out
- 1 Tbl Vegan Margarine or Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbl All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 C Vegetable Broth
- 1/3 C Vegan Sour Cream or Cashew Cream or even Vegan Cream Cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pinch of fresh Nutmeg if desired
- Defrost and squeeze all of the liquid from the frozen spinach.
- In a large saute pan, add the fresh spinach without any liquid and continually toss until it cooks down.
- Remove and set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean and add the vegan margarine (or coconut oil, if you prefer) and once melted, add the flour. Stirring constantly, cook for 2-3 minutes. This creates a roux and helps cook out that flour taste.
- Whisk in the vegetable broth until smooth. It will appear somewhat thick. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Add all of the spinach. Stir to combine.
- Add the vegan sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Lastly, add the fresh nutmeg.
- Serve hot.