I have been thinking about this recipe for quite some time and in my head, I wasn’t quite sure how I felt about chocolate with cinnamon. But I can assure that you will find yourself eating every single one of these Mexican Crinkle Cookies!
Oh, and did I forget to mention that I was able to make them completely egg and dairy free? That’s right, these babies are VEGAN.
You’ll know these cookies are going to be pretty special the minute you whip up the batter. The aroma is just heavenly!
As you can see, the batter (or dough) is pretty soft so it’s super important to chill this one until it’s firm. We’re going to be scooping them out in portions and rolling them in powdered sugar before they bake.
I made mine pretty large, but you should be able to get about 24 cookies from this recipe. More if smaller, less if you are like me and prefer the jumbo size 😉
As they bake, the powdered sugar creates this cracking or crinkled effect.
The cookies will still be somewhat tender straight out of the oven, so let them cool on the cookie sheet for about 2 minutes before attempting to transfer them to a rack to cool completely. If they last that long! I was eating them warm and I must say, that was my absolute favorite way to enjoy them.
They are chocolately, a little spicy from the cinnamon and sweet from the powdered sugar. I will be making these again and again!
Did you make this recipe for Mexican Crinkle Cookies? Let me know in the comments section below.
*Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. Clicking on them does not affect your purchase price, it just means we get a very small percentage that assists in keeping The Veg Life! creating new recipes for you each week.
If you liked this recipe, PIN IT FOR LATER!
Mexican Crinkle Cookies
- 3/4 cup Vegan Margarine cubed
- 2 ounces Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp Ground Flax PLUS 3 tbsp Water allow to sit for 15 minutes
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar for rolling
- Melt butter and chocolate. I used the microwave. Stir until smooth.
- Beat in brown sugar and corn syrup until blended. Beat in flax egg.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into brown sugar mixture.
- IMPORTANT: Refrigerate, covered, until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a shallow bowl, add confectioners' sugar. Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls and roll in confectioners' sugar mixture. Place 2 in. apart on parchment or silpat lined baking sheets.
- Bake until set and tops are cracked, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to finish cooling. Yields about 24 cookies.