Sometimes the most simple dishes are also the most delicious. This Roasted Sweet Potato and Wild Rice Salad features a lemon-lime vinaigrette.
We used Minute Rice’s Multi-Grain Medley (that is, a brown rice, red Thai rice, wild rice and quinoa blend). There’s the nutty flavor of the rice blend and the sweet, smoky quality of the grilled sweet potatos atop a bed of mixed greens. You could use any mix of greens here. Ours is a spinach blend, but I think arugula would be quite nice with it’s almost peppery flavor. We also added chopped celery and celery leaves. The leaves provide an amazing flavor and are often overlooked.
The vinaigrette is also simple. It’s lemon juice, lime juice, agave, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. You could also spice it up with some ancho chile powder and/or ground cumin if you prefer.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Wild Rice Salad
- 2 medium Sweet Potatos or Yams, scrubbed clean
- 1/2 C of your favorite rice blend we used Minute Rice's Multi-Grain Medley - 1 boiling bag serves 2 people
- 2 C Mixed Greens
- 1 Celery Stalk with leaves
- For the vinaigrette:
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 Tbl Agave or Brown Rice Syrup
- 1 clove Garlic minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 C Olive Oil
- Optional: 1 tsp Ancho Chile Powder
- Optional: 1 tsp Cumin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large pot of water to rapidly boiling. Cook the whole sweet potatos until almost tender. About 15 minutes or so. Drain and dry with a towel. Pierce with a sharp knife once or twice.
- Place sweet potatos on a lined baking sheet and bake for another 15-20 minutes. You should start seeing the natural sugars emerge as it browns and becomes tender.
- Meanwhile, bring the boil-in-bag (or your choice of) rice to a boil and cook according to package directions. Farro would also be nice here. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the greens and celery.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette, drizzling the oil in last while whisking.
- Slice the sweet potatos into long wedges and place on the salad. Divide the vinaigrette evenly over the two servings of sweet potatos.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Leave a Reply