This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
I’m thrilled to be partnering with one of my favorite products from Better Than Bouillon to create this recipe for Vegan Mushroom Bourguignon. I am a long time customer of the Better Than Bouillon product line, so I thought I’d share with you how I use them in my own cooking!
If you are unfamiliar, Better Than Bouillon is a concentrated paste that is equivalent to something like a bouillon cube. You can actually use it to make a broth (1 tsp of paste to 8 oz. of boiling water) OR, use it more like a marinade to add flavor to a dish.
What I personally love about Better Than Bouillon is that unlike broths that expire quickly once opened, kept refrigerated, these can last until the ‘best used by’ date on the jar. It also comes in a wide variety of flavors, including the following that are labeled “vegetarian” but are actually certified vegan!
- Roasted Garlic (I can’t wait to try this one!)
- Organic Vegetable
- Vegetarian No Beef Base (used here today)
- Vegetarian No Chicken Base (one of my go-to bases for vegan cooking)
Sometimes it can be challenging when cooking vegetarian or vegan meals to get that flavor. Better Than Bouillon makes it easy!
Let’s make Vegan Mushroom Bourguignon!
The first step in this recipe is to add both oil and vegan margarine to a large stock pot. Add the pearl onions (I’m using frozen right out of the bag) and sliced carrots. Saute until just tender.
Add flour, which will help thicken the broth.
Add 1 tablespoon of tomato puree.
Next up, a fruity vegan red wine. You could certainly omit this but since we are boiling off the alcohol, it really just adds to the depth of flavor. I highly recommend it.
To make the Better Than Bouillon broth, just add 1 tsp of the paste per 8 oz. of boiling water. I ended up with two cups worth. Add to the stock pot.
Meanwhile, add a mixture of whole and sliced mushrooms to a hot saute pan with a touch of oil, salt and pepper.
Add the mushrooms to the boiling mixture.
Give it a few minutes to thicken.
While this was happening, I took the opportunity to make some mashed potatoes to serve alongside my Bourguignon.
You’ll find the Better Than Bouillon products in the grocery store aisle where you buy broth.
ENTER TO WIN!
I-C will randomly select winners from all program entries and will facilitate fulfillment of the winning prizes 9 winners.
Better Than Bouillon Sweepstakes
Did you make this recipe for Vegan Mushroom Bourguignon? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought.
And if you enjoyed the recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Vegan Mushroom Bourguignon
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- 1 c Frozen Pearl Onions no need to defrost
- 1 large Carrot sliced
- 1 clove Minced Garlic optional
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 2 tsp All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 c Vegan Red Wine
- 2 c Water
- 2-3 tsp Better Than Bouillon NO BEEF Base I added 3
- Fresh Thyme Leaves optional
- 12 oz Mushrooms whole and sliced
- In a large stock pot, add the oil and butter along with the pearl onions and carrot slices. Saute for a few minutes until tender. Add garlic (if using). Saute 1 minute more.
- Add the flour and tomato puree, cooking for 1 minute. Add wine.
- Next, combine the boiling water and Better Than Bouillon NO BEEF Base until dissolved. Add to stock pot.
- If you'd like to add fresh thyme leaves, do so now.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add oil and mushrooms over high heat. Stir frequently for just a few minutes until tender.
- Add the mushrooms to the stock pot.
- Bring to a boil and allow to thicken.
- Prepare mashed potatoes for serving.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.