Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Just a few minor tweaks to the classic Toll House recipe and you have perfect vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar vegan
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar vegan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 C original unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 cups 12-oz. pkg. vegan Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in small bowl. shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add applesauce and beat until combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate morsels. Using a small cookie scoop, drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets or Silpats.
- Try not to eat them all at this point ;), but the good news is??? You can! No raw eggs in this dough 🙂
- BAKE for 6-7 minutes for small cookies up to 9-11 for larger cookies (or until golden brown). Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Fantastic! I used 2 sticks of Earth Balance vegan butter and a 9 oz. package of Enjoy Life dark chocolate morsels and they turned out amazing….soft & chewy even after 3 days. Will definitely make them again.
Can u replace the vegetable shortening with vegan butter?
You absolutely can! 🙂
I’ve made these SO many times and even made them for parties and I honestly think they stay moist longer than regular cookies and the dough freezes so well. A go-to for me and I love them. A+
Veg Life Staff says
Thanks Carly! They are definitely a favorite 🙂
These are awesome!! I didn’t have shortening so I used the red Earth Balance. And you’re right it is very hard not to just sit down and eat the batter… but I did prevail 🙂 Thanks so much for the great recipe!
Michelle Koelle says
Seriously the best vegan cookies I have ever made. I substituted bob’s red mill’s egg replacer with soy milk for the applesauce and used a combo of coconut oil and vegan margarine for the shortening. Excellent cookies, plus the vegan bonus!
Hi. These are delicious. However, mine were like pancakes. I DID use melt organic plant based sticks and sprayed tray. ??
June berrett says
Can I make this recipe gluten free?