These Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins are one of our most popular recipes to date! Tis the season and I was getting alot of requests to bring this one back.
I’ve made a slight adjustment to the original recipe in that I now try to avoid using silken tofu as an egg replacer in my baking. Rather, I almost exclusively use either unsweetened applesauce, or my current ‘go to’ replacer…1 Tbl of ground flax seed + 3 Tbl of water allowed to sit in the refrigerator for about 15 (preferably 30) minutes to thicken. It becomes very gelatinous and perfect for baking. For breads and muffins however, applesauce will work just fine.
This simple recipe is my mom’s personal favorite holiday sweet treat, but we make it into a loaf. It’s awesome toasted in the morning if you choose to make it this way.
If you’ve tried this recipe, let us know in the comments below. It’s always fun to see how readers make it their own 🙂 Enjoy!
- 2 C All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup vegan Sugar, plus 1 Tbl more for the topping
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Grated Orange Peel
- 3/4 C Juice from 1 large Orange
- 1/4 C Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbl Ground Flax Seeds + 3 Tbl of water allowed to sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes [u]OR[/u] 1/4 C Applesauce
- 2 C frozen Cranberries, thawed
- 1/3 C chopped Walnuts, plus about 2 Tbl more for the topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a muffin or cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Add orange zest, orange juice, oil and flax mixture (or applesauce if using that as your egg replacer).
- Blend just until moist. Fold in cranberries and walnuts by hand.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/muffin-batter.jpg”][/url]
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide batter evenly between 16 cupcake liners.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/muffins-ready-to-bake.jpg”][/url]
- Combine the reserved sugar and walnuts and sprinkle the tops of each muffin.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/muffin-topping.jpg”][/url]
- Bake for 15 minutes and then cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/muffins-cooling-in-pan.jpg”][/url]
- Store in an airtight container or freeze in freezer bags.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/muffins1.jpg”][/url]