Stuffed Mini Eggplant
When I saw these in the grocery store, I had no idea what I would do with them. But how could I resist buying these mini eggplants? Stuffed with a mushroom herb cous cous and served with a sour cream shallot sauce.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/eggplant-final-.jpg”][/url]
- 10 Mini Eggplants
- ½ C Couscous
- 1 Tbl vegan Margarine, such as Earth Balance
- 1 C Mixed Mushrooms
- 2 Cherry Tomatos
- 1 Tbl Parsley
- ½ C Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 C vegan Parmesan (1/2 for the filling, 1/2 for the topping)
- ¼ C vegan Sour Cream
- 2 Tbl Minced Shallots
- 1 Tbl Almond Milk
- 1 Tbl Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, bring 1 C of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, slice the mini eggplants in half, leaving the stems intact. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Place the eggplant face down in the water and cook until just soft. [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/eggplant-boil.jpg”][/url]
- Turn once. [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/eggplant-boil-flip.jpg”][/url]
- Do not overcook.
- Using a small scoop or melon baller, remove some of the center of the eggplant to accommodate the stuffing. These mini eggplants tend to have a lot of seeds. If yours don’t, go ahead and chop those and add to your filling mixture.
- Cook the couscous to the manufacturers instructions. I cook mine with vegetable broth for added flavor. Set aside.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/cous-cous.jpg”][/url]
- Saute the mushrooms and dice finely. Also dice the tomatos finely.
- Combine the cooked couscous, mushrooms, tomato, chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/filling1.jpg”][/url]
- Mix together the panko bread crumbs and vegan parmesan cheese with some parsley.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/topping.jpg”][/url]
- Stuff the eggplant with the couscous mixture and top with the bread crumb mixture.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/stuffed.jpg”][/url]
- Place under a broiler (or in a toaster oven with a broiler setting) and broil until the breadcrumbs get lightly golden.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/broiled-2.jpg”][/url]
- Meanwhile, combine all of the shallot cream ingredients and warm in a small saucepan over medium heat. It should thicken slightly.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/sauce2.jpg”][/url]
- Spoon onto a plate and top with the eggplant.
- [url href=”http://theveglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/eggplant-very-close.jpg”][/url]
- Serve immediately.
Like Thanks! You've already liked this