I absolutely LOVE this Classic Candied Sweet Potatoes Recipe! It’s so incredibly simple, but it looks like you spent ages preparing it. It is a definite show-stopper for any holiday get-together, so let me show you how I made it.
Sweet potatoes? Or Yams?
That is entirely up to you and the good news is that the process remains the same regardless of which you choose! Begin by cutting them into 1/4″ slices. If you can find a large sweet potato that is uniform in shape like I did, it’s even better.
And if you are confused about the differences between sweet potatoes and yams, well you are not alone. As it turns out, most stores market sweet potatoes as “yams”. Take a look at this article I found. Hmmm….very interesting.
There are just a few ingredients in this recipe. In addition to the sweet potato (or yam), I used orange slices, cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, salt, vegan margarine and not shown, a pinch of nutmeg and also some pepper.
Assembling the sweet potatoes…
Take the slices in sections and just lay them in the baking dish in a sort of shingled formation. This does NOT have to be fussy, it takes literally a few minutes to complete. It looks a lot fancier than it is 🙂
In a medium pan, add the vegan margarine, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
It should look like this. For even more flavor, you could add orange juice or the orange slices to this mixture.
Pour the mixture over the arranged sweet potatoes, add the orange slices and cinnamon sticks.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil and test for tenderness with a fork. Return to the oven for another 20 minutes or so until it’s more caramelized. The syrup will be much thicker at this point.
Allow to stand for about 10 minutes prior to serving (that sugar mixture is HOT!). Remove the cinnamon sticks and oranges. These can now be discarded. They have done their job.
I used a 1-1/2 pound sweet potato and it served four people nicely. You could, of course, double or even triple the recipe to serve more people. Keep in mind though, cooking time may vary if you add more to the baking dish.
Did you make my Classic Candied Sweet Potatoes Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought.
And if you enjoyed the recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Before you go, why not check out some of our recent videos and be sure to subscribe to the YouTube Channel! 🙂
Classic Candied Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds Sweet Potatoes or "Yams" cut into uniform 1/4" slices
- 8 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- 1/2 Orange cut into 1/4" slices & then in half
- 1/2 c Brown Sugar
- 2-3 Cinnamon Sticks you could also omit and add a pinch of cinnamon to the sugar mixture
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- pinch Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel a 1-1/2 pound sweet potato and slice uniformly into 1/4" slices.
- Layer the sweet potato slices into your oven-safe baking dish. You can use the larger ones around the outside perimeter and save the smaller pieces for the center.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the vegan margarine and add all remaining ingredients (including cinnamon sticks and orange slices)
- Carefully pour over the arranged sweet potatoes and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake covered for 35-40 minutes or until tender. I used a fork to test.
- Remove the foil and cook uncovered for an additional 20 minutes or so. The edges should be caramelized and the liquid should have thickened.
- Allow to cool uncovered for at least 10 minutes prior to serving. That sugar mixture is HOT!