You will love this Crispy Hoisin Glazed Tofu with Green Beans recipe. If you’ve followed me for awhile, you know that it has taken me awhile to warm up to tofu. Determined, this has driven me to try to find creative ways to enjoy it. Pan frying the tofu has been a game-changer for me. It creates a crispy exterior with a soft interior that I just love. Let me show you how I make it.
How to press tofu
Tofu is full of moisture and moisture is the opposite of what we need to make crispy tofu bites. If you don’t own a tofu press, this little set up works just as well. I place paper towels on a small plate, then tofu, more paper towels, another plate and something heavy. This can of crushed tomatoes does the trick!
I decided to serve mine with steamed green beans and I’m using fresh here. You’ll want to wash and trim them. Steam until just crisp tender. I also prepared brown rice for serving.
How to make Crispy Hoisin Glazed Tofu with Green Beans
Whisk together the ingredients for the sauce/glaze and set aside. If you are not a person who likes spicy food, leave out the red chili flakes. They definitely add a bit of heat.
How to pan fry tofu
I created this little photo collage to show you the process of browning cubed tofu in a skillet. I brown every side of the tofu in a small amount of oil over medium-high to high heat. Adjust your heat as necessary. Once brown, flip using tongs. Once browned on all sides, remove to paper towels to drain any excess oil.
Add the garlic to the leftover oil in the pan. If there is too much oil, remove some. You need very little. Then add the tofu back to the pan along with the sauce / glaze mixture. Stir constantly until thickened.
You’ll know it’s ready when you have about half of the sauce you began with and the tofu is coated like this.
I served with the brown rice, green beans (and lemon wedges for squeezing). Top with green onions (scallions) and sesame seeds for garnish, if desired.
Just look at that texture! These are so good.
Did you make my recipe for Crispy Hoisin Glazed Tofu with Green Beans? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. Also, if you have any suggestions for new ways to prepare tofu, let me know! 🙂
Crispy Hoisin Glazed Tofu with Green Beans
- 16 oz Extra Firm Tofu pressed of any excess moisture (see post)
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3 tbsp Water
- 2 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger grated
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- pinch Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Green Beans washed, trimmed and steamed until crisp tender - season with salt, to taste
- Brown Rice cooked according to package instructions
- Lemon cut into wedges for green beans
- Green Onions for garnish
- Sesame Seeds for garnish
- Neutral Flavored Oil
- Press the tofu of any excess moisture (see post for instructions).
- Prep your sides. I am steaming green beans and cooking brown rice.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the sauce/glaze. If you do not like spice, leave out the red pepper flakes.
- Cube the tofu and in a hot skillet with about a tablespoon of oil. brown all sides of the tofu. Remove to paper towels to drain off excess oil once done.
- Remove excess oil and add garlic to pan. Cook for 1 minute, then add back tofu and the sauce. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened into a glaze and tofu is coated.
- Serve over rice with green beans and a wedge of lemon, if desired.
Leave a Reply