This Easy Green Bean Casserole Recipe is by far the simplest version I have ever made and most likely my favorite to date. If you’ve followed along for awhile, you know this is my favorite holiday side dish and one I’ve continued trying to perfect as the years go along.
I’m using a canned vegan cream of mushroom soup (which never used to be a thing – yay for progress!) but you could always make a homemade cream of mushroom soup. This recipe is great in that you can also make it in advance and just pop it in the oven when you are ready.
How to make my Easy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
As mentioned above, I am using a canned vegan cream of mushroom soup but you can also feel free to make your own. I have a few recipes on this site, such as this one here.
To that, add your almond milk and season with salt and pepper.
There are few times when I will ever say that canned mushrooms are best, but they really do work better in this recipe than fresh. I buy them packed in water and sliced. Simply drain and toss them in with the soup mixture. No chopping required!
If you choose to use fresh, I would saute them a bit in vegan margarine and cool before adding them in here.
Moving on to the green beans. I have previously been a fan of canned green beans, but unlike the mushrooms, I really think that fresh works best here. Trim both ends, cut into 2″ pieces and wash thoroughly.
I par cook these for a few minutes because they don’t spend enough time in the oven to really give them as much cooking time as they need.
Add the beans to the soup mixture and stir well to combine.
Add to a small 8″ baking dish and top with crispy fried onions. Bake until golden and bubbling. Test the green beans for doneness and allow to sit for just a few minutes before serving. It will thicken up as it sits.
Yum! This makes me happy. I could eat the whole thing myself 🙂
Did you make my Easy Green Bean Casserole Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! I love hearing how your creations turn out.
Easy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb Fresh Green Beans washed, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces then steamed (or microwaved)
- 1 can Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 7 oz Can of Sliced Mushrooms drained
- 1/2 c Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Vegan Soy Sauce Optional, but recommended
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 c Crispy Fried Onions 1/3 for the filling, the rest for topping
- Prep your green beans by washing, trimming and cutting them into 2" pieces. Steam (or microwave) them to par cook. If you like them more on the crisp-tender side, omit this step.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare your baking dish with cooking spray to ensure they won't stick.
- Combine the soup mixture and add the cooled green beans along with 1/3 of the crispy fried onions. Stir well to incorporate, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add to your baking dish and top with remaining crispy fried onions.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Test the green beans for doneness. Allow to cool for a few minutes prior to serving. It will thicken as it sits.