These Easy Baked Butternut Squash Fritters are so delicious and come together in just about 40 minutes or so. I made this vegetarian, using cheese and an egg, but you are welcome to veganize this. I’ll give you some options as we get into the recipe. Serve with sour cream for dipping. The vegan alternative is really delicious as well.
How to make Easy Baked Butternut Squash Fritters
The most time consuming part of this recipe is peeling and grating the squash. It looks intimidating but a few good swipes and you’ll get to the flesh of the squash itself. I use the smaller end of the squash because it makes it easier to hold while grating.
In one bowl, I have all purpose flour, sage, salt, pepper and baking powder that I have whisked together.
To that, add the butternut squash and egg. If you’d like to substitute for a vegan option, I’m using about 2 tbsp here, so any egg replacer that has the same measurement will do. Unsweetened applesauce is a nice option. You could also make a flax “egg” or add silken tofu which is very similar in texture once whisked.
I used a cheddar blend, simply substitute with a vegan option. Just keep in mind, vegan cheeses don’t always melt the same.
Mix everything together and using a cookie scoop, place onto a line baking sheet.
Using your measuring cup or a glass, flatten the scooped balls a bit.
I got six fritters from this recipe, but feel free to double it. I think three per person is perfect if you are serving as a main course.
Bake at 400 degrees until puffed and golden. This should take about 25 to 30 minutes. You want them cooked through and the squash tender. Allow to set for a few minutes before serving. They are very hot! They will firm up a bit as they cool.
Don’t these look amazing? I found them surprisingly delicious. Tender and sweet, crisp on the outside and the sour cream was the perfect condiment for dipping.
Check out my other similar recipes:
Did you make my recipe for Easy Baked Butternut Squash Fritters? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Easy Baked Butternut Squash Fritters
- 1/4 c All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 tsp Sage or Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 c Butternut Squash grated (you can also do this in a food processor)
- 1/3 c Cheddar Cheese grated, or vegan alternative
- 1 Green Onion or Onion very finely sliced
- 2 tbsp Beaten Egg or vegan alternative
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients, then add egg (or replacer), cheese (or vegan alternative), green onion and squash. Mix well.
- Using a cookie scoop, make six mounds on your baking sheet. Using a glass, press to flatten.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or so until golden and set. Allow to cool slightly. They will continue to set up as they cool.
- Serve with sour cream (or vegan alternative).
Leave a Reply