These colorful Sauteed Shredded Brussels Sprouts make a really delicious side dish! I saute the shredded sprouts in oil or butter until cooked through, then top with homemade buttery breadcrumbs. For a splash of color and interest, I used pomegranate arils, but you could certainly substitute with dried cranberries if you prefer. It’s so simple to make and yet, a stunner on the table. Let’s make this.
How to make Sauteed Shredded Brussels Sprouts
My store sells these one pound bags of fresh Brussels sprouts, but you can buy them by the pound or even still on the stalk at markets like Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s.
To prep the Brussels sprouts, you’ll want to trim the stem end of that little tough part and then slice in half. Slicing makes removing those few outer leaves much simpler. From there, just slice the sprouts into thin strips and separate into shreds with your fingers.
CHEF’S NOTE: If you have a food processor with a shredding attachment, it makes VERY quick work of this task.
Add the shreds to a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add either oil or vegan margarine. I almost always use a bit of both. This is totally up to your personal preference.
Season well with salt and pepper and toss to coat with the oil (or vegan margarine). Continue to saute until cooked through.
It should look like this. Take care not to over cook or it will be kind of mushy. You still want a bit of bite to the sprouts.
But wait…we’re not finished just yet!
For recipes such as this one, I prefer making my own bread crumbs. I start with two slices of bread torn roughly into pieces and placed into a food processor.
Process until you achieve coarse crumbs and place into a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add vegan margarine.
Stir often util the crumbs are golden and crisp.
I promise you, these homemade bread crumbs are one hundred times better than any boxed crumb you could ever buy.
You could stop here, but I felt like the dish needed a bit of color.
I keep frozen pomegranate arils on hand for moments such as this and boy did they take this dish up a notch!
Garnish with a sprig of fresh parsley and serve alongside your favorite main dish.
SERVING SUGGESTION: If you have a balsamic finishing glaze, it would make a lovely addition drizzled over top!
Did you make my Sauteed Shredded Brussels Sprouts? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Sauteed Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lb Fresh Brussels Sprouts stems trimmed, outer leaves removed, halved and sliced into strips/shreds
- 1 tsp Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
FOR THE BREAD CRUMB TOPPING:
- 2 sliced Bread any kind, processed into crumbs
- 1 tbsp Vegan Margarine melted
FOR SERVING / GARNISH:
- Parsley chopped plus a sprig for garnish
- Pomegranate Arils fresh or frozen (defrosted)
- Prep Brussels sprouts by trimming the tough portion of the stem end. Slice in half, remove outer leaves and cut into slices/shreds.
- Add a bit of oil or vegan margarine to a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add Brussels. Season well with salt and pepper. Saute until tender, but not over cooked.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add 2 slices of bread and process into crumbs.
- Add crumbs to a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add vegan margarine. Stirring often, toast until golden and crisp.
- To assemble, add the Brussels to a serving bowl, top with crumbs and a sprinkling of chopped parsley. Add pomegranate arils or dried cranberries. Garnish with a sprig of parsley.
Leave a Reply