My Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili is a great vegan alternative, not to mention…it’s delicious! If you can find a good vegan sour cream, a dollop on top would be perfect. I serve this alongside a Vegan Cornbread. If you like things spicy, this Jalapeno Corn Muffin is really good!
How to make my Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili
The first step is to peel, remove the seeds from and dice up a butternut squash. Any good vegetable peeler works. It’s not as daunting as it may seem. I generally use about 2 cups of cubed squash for this recipe so you’ll likely have some leftover for another dish.
Dice a small onion and add to a large heavy bottomed stock pot with your squash, salt and pepper. Saute for a few minutes to get things started.
Next, add the chili powder and cumin. Cook for another few minutes until the squash barely begins to get tender. Stir often.
Drain and rinse the black beans and add a can of diced tomatoes with it’s juices.
Add about a cup of water and stir well to combine. Bring the chili to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. You can cover it, but I like it to reduce and thicken which is best done with the lid removed.
Can you freeze Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili?
Yes! This recipe freezes really, really well. I prefer a glass snap lock freezer-safe container or something where the smell won’t transfer to your container. That chili powder/cumin combination can really leave a lasting impression on your storage containers.
Give the chili another taste for seasoning before serving, adding more salt if necessary.
What to serve with this recipe
As mentioned above, I love serving this with a vegan sour cream, a side of cornbread and a garnish of fresh parsley.
Did you make my recipe for Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 c Butternut Squash peeled, seeds removed and cut into cubes
- 1 small Onion diced
- 1 clove Garlic minced, OPTIONAL
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder or to taste
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1 c Water or more if needed
- 14 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes with juices
- 15 oz Can of Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp Parsley chopped, plus more for garnish
- Vegan Sour Cream for serving, OPTIONAL
- Heat oil in a large stock pot and add onions and diced butternut squash. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for a few minutes, then add the chili powder and cumin. (Add minced garlic here if using). Cook for another few minutes, stirring often.
- Once the squash is beginning to get tender, add the diced tomatoes with their juices, drained and rinsed black beans and water. Bring to a simmer (with the lid off) for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat once thickened and the squash is fork tender. Don't over cook or it will get mushy. Add chopped parsley.
- Serve with a dollop of vegan sour cream and a side of cornbread, if desired.