You will LOVE these Easy Vegan Lemon Blueberry Hand Pies! You are welcome to make your own pie dough, but I’m using a premade dough. There are several on the market that are what I like to call “accidentally” vegan.
How to make Easy Vegan Lemon Blueberry Hand Pies
The first thing you’ll need to do, is to cook down the blueberries with some sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and a pinch of salt.
Cooking in a small saucepan over medium to medium high heat until the blueberries have broken down and look like this. They will have burst and released their juices which with the help of that cornstarch, will thicken the mixture. Allow to cool completely.
Most premade pie dough comes in rounds, so we need to square this up a bit. Cut in half, then each half into thirds and then trim off the round edges. Each round dough should give you 6 rectangular pieces.
You could brush the leftover pieces with a bit of almond milk and sprinkle with sugar. They are fun to munch on!
Place about 1 tablespoon of your blueberry mixture into the center of each rectangle and then brush the edges with almond milk. This will act as the “glue” that holds everything together.
Fold the rectangle in half and using a fork, crimp the edges.
Give the pastries a brush of almond milk.
And a sprinkling of sugar. I used coarse sugar here, but any sugar will work just fine.
Alternately, you could make a simple glaze out of powdered sugar and lemon juice. Just add enough of the juice to make a thick drizzle.
Bake the pastries for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown. You will have some leakage, so expect that. Aren’t they pretty? And how easy were these to make!
This recipe makes enough for 6 pastries, but you could easily double this recipe.
Did you make my Easy Vegan Lemon Blueberry Hand Pies? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought.
And if you enjoyed the recipe, PIN IT FOR LATER 🙂
Easy Vegan Lemon Blueberry Hand Pies
- 1 Pre-made Pie Crust found in the refrigerated section of your grocery store...usually near the butter
- 1 c Blueberries fresh or thawed (if frozen)
- 1/4 c Sugar if your blueberries are not very sweet, you may consider adding a bit more than the 1/4 cup
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch, Arrowroot Powder or Tapioca Flour
- pinch Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
JUST BEFORE BAKING:
- 1/4 c Non-Dairy Milk for brushing and sealing the pastries
- Sugar for sprinkling
FOR THE OPTIONAL GLAZE MENTIONED IN THE POST (not shown)
- 1/2 c Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice or more if needed to get a drizzling consistency
TO MAKE THE BLUEBERRY FILLING:
- Add blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt and lemon juice to a small saucepan over medium to medium high heat. Cook until the blueberries burst and release their juices. The sauce should be thickened at this point. Allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Unroll the refrigerated pie dough and cut as indicated in the post to give you six rectangles.
- Place about 1 tablespoon into the center of each rectangle and brush the edges with almond milk. Fold in half.
- With a fork, crimp the edges to seal.
- Brush with almond milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and crisp. There will be some leakage. This is normal.
- Allow to cool.
- Stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice to create a glaze that can be drizzled. Add more juice if it's too thick, or more powdered sugar if it's too thin. Drizzle over cooled pastries and enjoy 🙂