It’s a Falafel. And a Waffle. Falafel Waffles with Creamy Dill Sauce 🙂 I know our parents used to tell us not to play with our food, but it’s so much fun! If you’d prefer to stick with the classic Falafel (or don’t have a waffle iron), just form them into the familiar disc shape and fry in a bit of oil until golden brown.
Now, I’m not the first to attempt this recipe (and I promise you, I won’t be the last). I learned of this insanely amazing feat from a brief snippet of a cooking show called, “You’re Eating It Wrong!” On that show…they made a Falafel sandwich.
I had other ideas, such as serving it with my salad for lunch drizzled with a simple, creamy dill sauce. Slices of tomato, cucumber and red onion offer a glimpse at tradition. Everything gets combined in the bowl of a food processor until it resembles a very coarse meal.
Heat a waffle maker and spray with cooking spray. You don’t want that baby to stick! If you’d prefer the classic Falafel, heat a skillet with a small amount of oil over medium heat, cooking until golden brown.
The Creamy Dill Sauce is just as simple. In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients with some chopped dill.
You can serve it in a pita, by itself, or with salad as I have here. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination!
Did you make this recipe for Falafel Waffles with Creamy Dill Sauce? Let me know what you thought in the comment section below.
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Falafel Waffles with Creamy Dill Sauce
FOR THE FALAFELS:
- 1 can Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 can any White Bean drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Celery rough chop
- 1/4 c Onion rough chop
- 3 tbsp Red Bell Pepper rough chop
- 1/3 c Fresh Parsley
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint
- 2 tbsp Fresh Dill
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Cumin, Garlic Powder, Oregano OPTIONAL & to taste
- 1/4 c Chickpea or other flour
- Non-Stick Spray
FOR THE CREAMY DILL SAUCE:
- 1/3 c Vegan Sour Cream OR Cashew Cream
- 1/3 c Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Onion finely minced
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Horseradish OPTIONAL
- 1 tsp Dill chopped
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Mixed Greens, etc.
- Combine all ingredients for the Creamy Dill Sauce. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the ingredients for the falafel.
- Liberally spray the waffle iron and add a heaping handful into the center, closing the lid to press. Cook for about 6-8 minutes.
- Using the edge of a fork, get under the waffle to the more browned bottom and gently lift away to a plate. Allow to cool slightly and cut into wedges.
- Serve with a salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, red onions, cucumber and of course, the creamy dill sauce.