I know there are a lot of food bloggers out there who plan recipes MONTHS in advance. I am not one of those people. In fact, some of my best recipes have been spur-of-the-moment ideas. This Hominy and Green Chile Dip is, in my opinion, one of them!
I was at a loss for what to post today until I started searching my cupboards for inspiration. And that’s when I happened upon two cans of hominy, one white…one yellow. I remember purchasing these months ago, never really sure how I’d use them.
If you aren’t familiar with hominy, it is maize (corn), in which the hard, dried kernels are soaked in a diluted lime solution and then washed which causes the hull and germ to slip off and the kernels to puff up to twice their original size! As for texture, think creamy diced potato or garbanzo bean. I think it tastes more like potatoes. It comes in both white and yellow and can be found in most grocery or health food stores. I actually found both at my local Walmart in the canned vegetable section. At less than 75 cents per can, this makes it a really economical appetizer.
If you prefer, you can always slightly mash the hominy, you can. It’s very soft in texture. It is a bit easier to scoop that way, but I just love the presentation of the whole kernels. Pair that with my new, latest obsession….these blue corn tortillas with flax seeds! The best tortilla chips I’ve ever tasted. I’ll include a direct link to them below.
This Hominy and Green Chile Dip is creamy and has a nice depth of flavor. Like things spicy? We used mild green chiles, but feel free to kick it up a notch if you can handle it. Sadly, I cannot 🙂
You could also switch out the parsley for cilantro and add a bit of lime. That would be nice too. And did I mention this would make an amazing #GameDayFood? Be sure to serve this dip warm and with plenty of chips!
P.S. If you are interested in the tortilla chips I used in this recipe, they are available at Target.
Before you go, why not check out some of our recent videos and be sure to subscribe to the YouTube Channel! 🙂
- 15 oz. Can of WHITE Hominy
- 15 oz. Can of YELLOW Hominy
- ½ C Yellow Corn
- 1 tbsp Vegan Margarine such as Earth Balance
- 1 tsp Oil of your choosing
- ¼ C Onion Diced
- ¼ tsp Garlic Minced
- ⅛ C fresh Green Pepper diced
- 4.5 oz. Can of Chopped Green Chiles we used mild
- ½ C Vegan Sour Cream such as Tofutti
- ¼ C Vegan Mexican Shredded Cheese such as GO Veggie! plus 1 Tbl for the top
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Fresh Parsley chopped
- Green Onion sliced for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tsp of oil and add the onion. Saute until tender.
- Add the minced garlic.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Drain the liquid from the hominy and rinse briefly. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine both the white and yellow hominy.
- Add the corn to a small bowl with the margarine and microwave until warm.
- Stir in the onion mixture.
- Add the fresh green pepper and green chiles.
- Gently fold with sour cream, shredded cheese, salt, pepper and chopped parsley.
- Top with a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Top with green onions and serve hot with blue corn tortillas.