Ina’s Easy Fresh Pea Soup Recipe is from of the course, the iconic Ina Garten of Food Network’s Barefoot Contessa fame. As one of my favorite cooks, I was inspired by her recipe for this Pea Soup. It came out beautifully and I really hope you give it a try. There are vegetarian and vegan options where called for. Let me show you how to make it!
Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe
To make this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Vegan Margarine
- Leeks and/or Yellow Onions
- Vegetable Broth
- Frozen Peas
- Fresh Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, plus a sprig for garnish
- Heavy Cream (if vegetarian) OR Coconut Cream (if vegan)
- Garlic Croutons, for serving
How to make Ina’s Easy Fresh Pea Soup Recipe
For the vegetable broth, I love using Better Than Bouillon bases and this reduced sodium is my personal favorite. Most grocery stores carry these now or you can get them on Amazon.
Saute the onion until tender in a bit of vegan margarine. Then, add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
Add the frozen peas which should only take minutes to defrost and cook.
Add the parsley, salt and pepper.
NOTE: Ina uses mint and parsley, but I am just not a fan of the mint. If you’d like to add it, feel free.
Bring the mixture to a boil then once tender, remove from the heat.
Once cooled a bit, add to the bowl of a food processor. Do this in batches if you have to. Hot mixtures will always expand and you risk getting burned, so take care during this process.
Process until you reach a nice smooth puree like this.
I added mine back to the original pan with the cream. Whisk to combine.
Serve with fresh garlic croutons and a splash more of the cream.
Did you make my recipe for Ina’s Easy Fresh Pea Soup Recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought.
Ina's Easy Fresh Pea Soup Recipe
- 1 1/2 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- 1/4 c Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 1/2 c Vegetable Broth
- 1 1/2 c Frozen Peas
- 1 tbsp Fresh Italian Flat Leaf Parsley plus a sprig for garnish
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream or Coconut Cream plus a splash more for serving
- Garlic Croutons for serving
OPTIONAL ADD INS:
- 1/2 c Leeks chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Chives chopped
- Heat vegan margarine in a skillet over medium heat, adding the leeks (if using) and chopped onions. Saute until tender. Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add frozen peas, cooking until tender. This should take about 3 minutes or so. Remove from the heat and add parsley, salt and pepper. If you are using mint, also add that off of the heat.
- Cool slightly and then in batches, puree in a food processor until smooth. Return the mixture to the pan.
- Add cream and whisk until combined. Serve warm with another splash of cream, garlic croutons and a sprig of fresh parsley for garnish.
Leave a Reply