When I made the lentil bolognese, I realized I had ALOT of leftover lentils. What to do? Lentil burgers seemed the obvious choice. Black beans, carrots, shallots, a little white wine and some bread crumbs later…I think they turned out great! We served it with pureed sweet potato and a light spinach and corn salad.
Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat and 1 tsp of oil. Combine all of the ingredients and with WET HANDS, form the patties.
Saute each side until golden and patties are cooked through and firm.
Serve with sweet potato and a spinach/corn salad.
Lentil, Mushroom & Black Bean Burgers
- 1 C fresh Mushrooms quartered & sauteed
- 1 Shallot chopped & sauteed
- 1/2 clove Garlic omit if you don't care for garlic, minced & sauteed
- 1 Medium Carrot chopped & sauteed
- 1 Celery stalk chopped & sauteed
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 8 oz. can green or brown lentils drained (you could also use dry lentils that you have cooked & drained)
- 1/2 C Black Beans
- 1/8 C White Wine Optional - for a comprehensive vegan wine database, please visit: www.barnivore.com to do a search
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4-1/2 C Plain or Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 Tbl ground Flax + 3 Tbl Water or another binding substitute to replace 1 egg
- 1 tsp Oil for cooking
- Chop all of the vegetables and saute in a large pan over medium high heat until vegetables are softened. The wine is optional, but it really gives it a depth of flavor. Add it towards the end and let the alcohol evaporate. Season to taste. Cool completely.
- Drain the lentils and add to the cooled vegetables along with the black beans.
- Combine the flax and water (or you can use another substitute for a binder).
- Add the flax and breadcrumbs to the vegetable mixture and with WET HANDS form into patties.
- Heat a large saute pan on medium high heat with 1 tsp of oil. Saute until golden on both sides and cooked through.
- Serve with a spinach salad (as shown here) and sweet potato puree.