Looking back at the most searched recipes of all time on The Veg Life!, our vegan coleslaw tops the list. This Vegan Carrot Slaw differs in that we used a variety of sweet rainbow-colored carrots in lieu of the typical cabbage mixture.
I typically buy the full sized rainbow carrots when I can find them, but surprisingly, my local grocery store had this mini assortment. Perfect for making this Vegan Carrot Slaw!
I simply ran them through the food processor using the shredding blade and this is what I got. I just love how colorful it turned out. But don’t worry if all you can find is the orange variety. You can always add some color with red cabbage, apple or just use a packaged coleslaw mix. The dressing will work with all of them.
And let’s talk a little bit about that dressing… I used both a vegan sour cream and a vegan mayonnaise. I know the mayo is a bit easier to find these days, but if you have access to a Whole Foods Market or Trader Joe’s, you’ll be able to find these products. I’ve recently been loving Hampton Creek’s Just Mayo brand (now available at Target), but have been using the Follow Your Heart Vegenaise brand for quite some time now as well. Follow Your Heart and Tofutti both make great vegan sour creams. You could also make your own cashew sour cream (recipes all over the Internet). Of course if all else fails, there is always Amazon.com. Is there anything you can’t find on Amazon? I think not 🙂
The dressing also includes a splash of white vinegar, dry mustard, celery seeds, salt and pepper. My original Vegan Coleslaw included grated onion, but I personally prefer the sweetness of the carrots without the onion in this recipe. You could always opt to add them in yours.
The secret to marrying all of the flavors is patience. I combine everything together, cover and refrigerate overnight. The taste is so much more complex the following day.
Although this slaw is completely amazing on it’s own, we’ll be serving it alongside our Barbecue Portobello Bowl. In the meantime, enjoy! 🙂
Before you go, why not check out some of our recent videos and be sure to subscribe to the YouTube Channel! 🙂
Vegan Carrot Slaw
- 12 oz . Shredded Carrots Cabbage OR Coleslaw Mix
- 2 Tbl Vegan Sour Cream or you can make your own cashew-based sour cream
- 2/3 C Vegan Mayonnaise (if it's not tangy enough for your taste just add a squeeze of lemon juice)
- 1-2 Tbl White Vinegar or to taste
- 1-2 Tbl Sugar this is dependent upon the sweetness of your carrots
- 1-2 tsp Dry Mustard to taste
- 1/2 tsp Celery Seeds
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1 Tbl Grated Onion
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing with a whisk.
- Toss part of it with the shredded carrots. You may not need all of the dressing. It will loosen up, so it's better to go slowly. You can always add, but you can't take it away.
- I like to cover and refrigerate the slaw overnight so the flavors all come together and the sugar dissolves.
- Reserve any remaining dressing in case you need it the next day.
Leave a Reply