These Vegan Nashville Hot Tofu Nuggets rank right at the top of my current favorites! Playing off of the current trend for Nashville Hot “Chicken”, this vegan version uses extra firm tofu.
Rather than use a panko bread crumb, I used a vegan corn flake cereal crust that I crushed up. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, whether that is more hot sauce or something to cool things down like ranch dressing. The traditional sandwich is served with pickles so I didn’t leave those out either. I hope you enjoy 🙂
How to press tofu to remove moisture (without a tofu press)
I don’t own a tofu press and the truth is, you don’t need one. I simply line one plate with a good amount of paper towels and add the tofu block. More paper towels, another plate and the ultra important heavy object to perform the “press”. I used canned tomatoes and left this to sit for about an hour or so. You’ll be surprised at just how much liquid comes out!
How to make Vegan Nashville Hot Tofu Nuggets
Now that the tofu is a bit more dry, it’s time to slice. You could do this any way you’d like but I sliced my block in half and then sliced that half into thirds. Turn the opposite direction and cut each of those long slices into four pieces.
As I mentioned, I veered off the usual bread crumbs and went for a chunkier corn flake crust. You simply take an unflavored corn flake type cereal (make sure no Vitamin D is added if you are vegan), place it in a plastic zip top bag and crush them.
We will be using a breading station situation here. The almond milk mixture contains almond milk, apple cider vinegar and hot sauce. For added tang and flavor, consider some pickle juice!
The flour mixture contains all of the spices and the corn flakes are just crushed, nothing added.
The breading process:
Step 1: Dredge the tofu pieces in the almond milk mixture.
Step 2: Dredge in the flour mixture.
Step 3: Go BACK to the almond milk mixture.
The final step is to roll in the corn flake crumb mixture.
Arrange the breaded pieces on a parchment lined baking sheet and spray with any cooking oil spray you have.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden and crispy. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. Every oven is different.
The next part of this recipe is quite simple. While they are baking, melt vegan margarine with the buffalo wing sauce (hot sauce would also work), brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
CHEF’S NOTE: Do this to suit your personal taste. Add more vegan margarine to hot sauce tone it down. If you like it really spicy, add more hot sauce.
Give the nuggets a quick turn in the sauce and place back on the lined cookie sheet until all are completed. Alternately, you could just serve the baked nuggets with a side of the hot sauce for those who prefer things a bit more mild.
I love mine with a vegan ranch dressing.
They are crisp on the exterior, tender on the interior and the flavor is on point!
Did you make my recipe for these Vegan Nashville Hot Tofu Nuggets? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! I always love seeing what you come up with 🙂
Vegan Nashville Hot Tofu Nuggets Recipe
- 1/2 block EXTRA FIRM Tofu liquid drained and tofu pressed (see instructions)
FOR THE ALMOND MILK MIXTURE:
- 1/2 c Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Buffalo Wing Sauce (or Hot Sauce)
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
FOR THE FLOUR MIXTURE:
- 1/2 c All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
FOR THE BREADCRUMB MIXTURE:
- 1/2 c Vegan Corn Flake Cereal some cereals contain Vitamin D, check your labels
FOR THE HOT SAUCE:
- 3 tbsp Vegan Margarine melted
- 1 tbsp Buffalo Wing Sauce (or Hot Sauce) or to taste
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- Garlic Powder optional
- pinch Ground Black Pepper
- pinch Salt
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Celery Sticks
- Dill Pickle Slices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- I sliced my block of tofu in half and then sliced that half into thirds. Turn the opposite direction and cut each of those long slices into four pieces. You'll get 12 pieces from a half block of tofu, or 24 pieces from a full block.
- Prepare the breading station: The almond milk mixture contains almond milk, apple cider vinegar and hot sauce. For added tang and flavor, consider some pickle juice!The flour mixture contains all of the spices.The corn flakes are just crushed, nothing added.
- To bread:1) Toss the tofu nuggets in the almond milk mixture.2) Immediately toss in the seasoned flour mixture.3) Return for another toss in the almond milk mixture.4) Finally, coat thoroughly in the crushed corn flakes.Place on a lined baking sheet.
- Spray the nuggets with cooking spray. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden and crispy. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Every oven is different.
- In a small pan, make the sauce.
- When the nuggets are done, toss in the sauce and place back onto the sheet pan.
- Serve immediately with more hot sauce, vegan ranch dressing, celery sticks and dill pickles!