I am always experimenting with jackfruit and today is no exception. It’s such a versatile ingredient that is becoming increasingly available. I get mine on Amazon. These Vegan Jackfruit “Fish” Sticks with Tartar Sauce were so much fun! If you’d rather just do simple rounds instead of sticks, by all means, make it easy on yourself 🙂
Some of my other jackfruit recipes include: VEGAN BARBECUE PULLED JACKFRUIT NACHOS, VEGAN BARBACOA JACKFRUIT STREET TACOS RECIPE, VEGAN BARBACOA JACKFRUIT STREET TACOS RECIPE, VEGAN CORNED JACKFRUIT REUBEN ON RYE WITH SAUERKRAUT AND SWISS, JAMAICAN JERK JACKFRUIT WITH BEANS AND RICE, PEPERONCINI JACKFRUIT SANDWICHES WITH MUSHROOM AU JUS, HAWAIIAN JACKFRUIT PINEAPPLE KEBABS and KENTUCKY FRIED JACKFRUIT
If you’ve followed me for awhile, you know that I absolutely love this brand (available on Amazon), but any jackfruit in water will do! I would steer away from jackfruit in brine as it is way too salty. Jackfruit also comes in a sweet, syrupy version and you definitely don’t want that for this recipe.
Drain and rinse the jackfruit, patting it dry with paper towels.
Add the jackfruit pieces into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it looks like this.
To the jackfruit add all of the remaining ingredients, including the Old Bay Seasoning (also known as seafood seasoning). This is an important ingredient and if you can’t find it, definitely try Amazon.
Now, using a small cookie scoop, place mounds of the batter directly into panko bread crumbs.
Before you try to shape these into sticks or patties (whichever you choose), roll them in breadcrumbs. It makes it so much easier and it’s less sticky of a process.
The sticks are a bit fragile at this stage, so I like to roll them all at once.
Add a bit of oil to a non-stick pan and in batches, add the sticks taking care to brown one side before gently flipping.
Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the homemade tartar sauce.
Serve the sticks warm with tartar sauce. They are really delicious!
The texture is amazing with that crisp exterior and flaky, tender interior.
Did you make my Vegan Jackfruit “Fish” Sticks with Tartar Sauce? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought! I always love seeing what you come up with 🙂
Vegan Jackfruit "Fish" Sticks with Tartar Sauce
FOR THE Vegan Jackfruit "Fish" Sticks:
- 20 oz Can of Jackfruit in WATER brined jackfruit is too salty
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 c Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 c Panko Breadcrumbs plus more for rolling
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning plus more for rolling
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- pinch Sugar
- 1 tbsp Neutral Flavored Oil
FOR THE VEGAN TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1/4 c Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dill Pickles finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Grainy Mustard
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Process until shredded in food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients to the food processor except reserved seasoned breadcrumb topping and oil.
- In a shallow plate, add breadcrumbs and a sprinkle of the Old Bay Seasoning. Toss to combine.
- Using a small cookie scoop, add balls of mixture directly to the breadcrumb mixture. Toss before attempting to shape into sticks. It's MUCH easier once they are coated with crumbs.
- Add oil to a non-stick pan over medium high heat and gently transfer the sticks to the pan. They are fragile at this point, so take some care here. Once golden and crisp on the first side, gently flip to repeat.
- Combine ingredients for homemade tartar sauce. Serve with the warm "fish" sticks.