When I started out making the Grilled Creamed Corn with Hominy, this was actually what I had in mind. I wanted the creamed corn to be the ‘sauce’ for this dish. In the end, I felt it really warranted two separate recipes.
Once the creamed corn is prepared, the rest is a cinch! Just boil your pasta, thin the creamed corn with a little coconut or almond milk, saute up the veggies with some seasoning and combine. It was so good, I had it for lunch AND dinner in the same day 😉 Seriously, it’s THAT good!
This was my first experience with hominy. I had purchased it for a white soup I was planning, but then it hit 108 degrees here in Arizona and hot soup was the LAST thing on my mind. I was initially looking for white beans and came across the hominy. Hmmm… it looked interesting. I wasn’t sure what to do with it, but I am one of those people who just buys first and plans the recipe later. I did some reseach on hominy and how it was used. I really didn’t see any reason why it couldn’t work in this recipe. It made the dish so incredibly flavorful. You can read more about hominy in my original post here.
I sliced up a zucchini and quartered it to get this shape. I also quartered the grape tomatos. These were bigger than most I get. If yours are smaller, just halve them. If you can find the multi-colored tomatos, it would make this dish even more colorful.
Even though the creamed corn is already seasoned, I seasoned the vegetables as well. I really think this step is important. Every layer needs to have flavor. I really like Mrs. Dash seasonings because they are salt-free. You can use whatever brand you like.
It’s mild, creamy, slightly cheesey (you could top with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan if you wish) and makes such a beautiful and delicious summer dish!
- FOR THE CREAMED CORN:
- 1 lb. of fresh Corn kernels cut from the cob, plus the milky juices
- 7 oz. White Hominy
- 2 oz. vegan Cream Cheese (I used Tofutti's Better Than Cream Cheese)
- 1 Tbl vegan Margarine (such as Earth Balance)
- ¼ C vegan Creamer (such as So Delicious brand Coconut Creamer)
- ¼ tsp vegan Sugar (optional)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Paprika, to taste
- Chives, for garnish
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- ¼ C Coconut Milk (I use So Delicious brand)
- 1 Small Zucchini, sliced & quartered
- About 10-12 Grape Tomatos, quartered
- 2 C Mini Penne Pasta
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Seasoning, such as Mrs. Dash or Season Salt
- TO PREPARE THE CREAMED CORN:
- In a hot skillet, add the grilled corn and butter and cook until the butter is melted.
- Add the creamer and cook until reduced by almost half.
- Add the cream cheese and cook until melted.
- Fold in the hominy and cook until heated through.
- If you'd like to add sugar, you can do so here.
- Add paprika, salt and pepper, to taste.
- ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS:
- To this, add the ¼ C of Coconut Milk, you could also use Almond Milk.
- Prepare the pasta to the instructions on the box.
- Meanwhile, slice and quarter the zucchini and saute in a little oil until just tender and golden.
- Add the tomatos and cook for a few minutes. Season with your seasoning of choice.
- Drain the pasta and add directly to the corn mixture. Mix and then fold in the vegetables.
- Garnish with chives, if desired.