This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
I’ve had the opportunity to work with Better Than Bouillon in the past on what turned out to be one of my most popular recipes to date and that was my Vegan Mushroom Bourguignon. This time, I wanted to put a spin on what I’m calling my 30 Minute One Skillet Vegetable Pasta Primavera using their Seasoned Vegetable Base. It was really tasty!
Which varieties of Better Than Bouillon are vegetarian and/or certified vegan?
There are five varieties that are either vegetarian or certified vegan: Seasoned Vegetable Base (which I am using here today), an Organic Seasoned Vegetable Base, No Chicken Base, No Beef Base and last but not least, a Roasted Garlic Base.
If you are unfamiliar, Better Than Bouillon is a concentrated paste that can be used to boost the flavor of meatless dishes and create really delicious and satisfying plant-based versions of your favorite meals. I find them to be a great alternative to broths that once opened, expire quickly and bouillon cubes that may not dissolve completely. I’ve been using them for years and hope you’ll give them a try too!
Let’s make 30 Minute One Skillet Vegetable Pasta Primavera!
The history of Primavera is a little fuzzy though most sources agree it was created in the 1970’s by the owner of Le Cirque, a famous New York City restaurant. Pasta Primavera was later made famous through a 1977 article in the New York Times by Craig Claiborne and Pierre Franey which included a recipe for the dish. The recipe has evolved and been interpreted in a plethora of ways since and mine is a play on the original.
How to make 30 Minute One Skillet Vegetable Pasta Primavera:
The first step is to saute red onions in a bit of neutral flavored oil in a large skillet just until they begin to get tender.
I follow with red and yellow peppers cut into about 1″ pieces.
For the zucchini, I like some texture and so I slice them lengthwise and then again lengthwise. From there, just chop the zucchini into bite sized pieces.
CHEF’S NOTE: The zucchini will be “crisp tender” if added directly to the other vegetables at this stage. You can opt to give it a quick minute or two in the microwave to expedite the cooking process and/or cook to your desired doneness.
I am using the Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base to create my sauce. It takes just one tablespoon of that yummy goodness to create this recipe.
It’s time to cook and drain the penne pasta but BEFORE you discard that starchy pasta water, reserve about a cup.
Whisk the pasta water, seasonings and Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base together. It smells so good!
This mixture gets added to our sauteed vegetables. It will look a bit loose, but wait…there’s more 😉
I’m making my recipe vegetarian today, but you can easily find a vegan grated parmesan alternative readily available at most grocery stores these days. Add the pasta and parmesan to the sauteed vegetables.
Give everything a good stir and try not to eat it directly from the pan. Okay, you can sneak a bite…or two. It’s THAT good.
As you stir, the parmesan will melt into the broth and create a sauce. I also like to add a bit more for serving along with a sprig of fresh parsley.
It’s colorful, quick and easy and incredibly flavorful using Better Than Bouillon’s Seasoned Vegetable Base!
Also be sure to connect with Better Than Bouillon on their social media pages for more recipes just like this one!
Better Than Bouillon Facebook
Better Than Bouillon Instagram
Better Than Bouillon Twitter
And if you enjoyed this recipe for my 30 Minute One Skillet Vegetable Pasta Primavera , why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
30 Minute One Skillet Vegetable Pasta Primavera
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion sliced
- 1 large Yellow Pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large Red Pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large Zucchini cut into small wedges
- 1 lb Penne Pasta cooked to package instructions, RESERVE 1 CUP OF PASTA WATER AFTER COOKING
- 1/2 c Parmesan or vegan alternative
FOR THE BETTER THAN BOUILLON MIXTURE:
- 1 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base
- 1 c Reserved Pasta Water
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Parsley for garnish
- Lemon Wedges
- Additional Parmesan or vegan alternative
- In a large skillet, add oil and sliced red onions. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add sliced red and yellow bell pepper.
- For the cut zucchini, you can opt to give them a quick pre-cook in the microwave if you prefer them a bit more tender. Then add to the vegetables in the skillet. Saute until desired doneness.
- Prepare penne pasta to package instructions, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta to the vegetables.
- Whisk together the reserved pasta water, Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base and seasoning. Add this mixture to the vegetables.
- Add the parmesan (or vegan alternative) and stir well to combine. This will form the sauce.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, lemon wedges and a bit more of the parmesan, if desired.