I don’t know why it has taken me so long to try these Crispy Baked Avocado Fries. They were delicious! I am pairing mine with another trend called “Mayochup”. Have you heard of it yet? It’s a 50/50 blend of mayonnaise and ketchup.
The recipe today is prepared as vegetarian but with just a simple egg substitution (such as a flax egg), vegan parmesan and of course, vegan mayo…it’s just as delicious veganized!
The first step is to halve and remove the pit from your avocados. I try to pick those that are close in size so that they bake at the same rate.
Slice each halve into thirds and THEN peel it. You want ripe avocados here and although it may seem tempting to use a firmer avocado, don’t do it. If you wouldn’t eat it raw, don’t use it in this recipe.
So we’ll create a dredging station that begins with a simple flour mixture. I added paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt.
Again, I’m making this vegetarian today, but a simple flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax PLUS 3 tbsp water allowed to sit until thickened) yields a similar result.
I used almond milk here because that’s what I always have on hand.
The final stop on our dredging station is the Panko breadcrumb mixture and you want to use Panko for that texture. Again, I added paprika and salt along with parmesan (feel free to use vegan parmesan – it works great in this recipe).
If you are a lover of spicy things, why not consider kicking it up a notch with cayenne pepper as well?
Once you’ve coated all of the avocado fries, give them a good spray with any spray oil of your choosing. I just happen to have avocado oil on hand.
If you are oil-free, you could skip this step but they won’t be as golden and crispy.
Before serving, mix a 50/50 blend of mayonnaise (or vegan alternative) and ketchup. Also know as “Mayochup”. I promise, it’s a thing 😉
Serve the fries while they are still warm.
You might also enjoy:
How about a sweet fry? These Apple Fries with Vegan Vanilla Whipped Cream are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!
Did you make this recipe for Crispy Baked Avocado Fries? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought.
And if you enjoyed the recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Crispy Baked Avocado Fries
FOR THE AVOCADOS:
- 2 Avocados halved, pit removed, sliced into thirds & then peel removed
FOR THE FLOUR MIXTURE:
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- pinch Salt
FOR THE "EGG" WASH MIXTURE (Vegetarian or Vegan)
- 1 large Egg (OR VEGAN EQUIVALENT - see notes) for vegan: use 1 tbsp ground flax PLUS 3 tbsp water. Allow to sit until slightly thickened.
- 2 tbsp Almond Milk any milk or alternative will do here
FOR THE PANKO BREADCRUMB MIXTURE (Vegetarian or Vegan)
- 1 c Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c Parmesan (OR VEGAN EQUIVALENT) you can buy vegan parmesan just about anywhere these days!
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- pinch Salt
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1/4 c Mayonnaise (OR VEGAN EQUIVALENT)
- 1/4 c Ketchup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine ingredients for each of the three components for your breading station.
- Halve, remove pit and slice avocado into thirds before removing peels.
- Add the avocado slices first to the flour mixture, then to the egg mixture and finally, into the breadcrumb mixture. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spray avocado fries with avocado or olive oil and bake until golden, about 20 minutes (depends on your oven).
- Combine the mayonnaise and ketchup to make your dipping sauce.
- Serve immediately 🙂
Leave a Reply