This Easy Vegan Jackfruit Toona Salad is so tasty and works as both a spread and for sandwiches as a vegan version of a tuna salad. Jackfruit is very easily found in some grocery or specialty stores, but readily available at Whole Foods, Trader Joes and of course, on Amazon.
A word about jackfruit…
I happened to have jackfruit in brine so I completely omitted the salt in my recipe. Even after you rinse it, it will retain that saltiness which is okay but I prefer to season my own food so if you can, find the jackfruit packed in just water. Jackfruit also comes as a sweet product packed in syrup, so be sure not to choose that one 🙂
In the bowl of a food processor, add the drained and dried jackfruit. It’s important to get it really dry or it will puree and not shred like you see here.
How to make my Easy Vegan Jackfruit Toona Salad
To the vegan cream cheese, add chili sauce. You could also use barbecue sauce or even ketchup in a pinch.
Give it a few dashes of hot sauce.
From there, I added diced onion, celery, chopped parsley and season with salt (omit if your jackfruit was packed in brine) and pepper. I also like adding a bit of paprika for color. Use a scoop to plate the toona salad.
Today I chose to serve this as a spread with crackers but I have also served this as a sandwich filling on bread with mayonnaise and butter lettuce. It’s really good!
Garnish the top with a bit more paprika, if desired.
Did you make my Easy Vegan Jackfruit Toona Salad? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Easy Vegan Jackfruit Toona Salad
- 1 can Jackfruit in WATER brine adds extra salt, drained, rinsed and dried on paper towels
- 4 oz Vegan Cream Cheese softened
- 1 tbsp Chili OR Barbecue Sauce ketchup would also work
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp Celery fine minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Shallot or Onion finely minced (OR you could use onion powder) - do this to taste
- Hot Sauce (such as Tabasco) to taste
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Drain, rinse and dry the jackfruit removing any visable seeds. Place into the bowl of a food processor with the chopping blade and process until you get the texture of shredded tuna fish. Add to a bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. This mixture is better when refrigerated as it will thicken and become more of a spread. You can however, use this same mixture for sandwiches.
- Serve with crackers, if desired. Keep leftovers in the refrigerator.
Leave a Reply