I have literally been waiting an entire year to put this recipe on the site! Even though we can grill year round in Arizona, I know that not all of you can so I thought I’d save it for a summer post. My inspiration for these Grilled Vegetable Skewers with Vegan Beurre Blanc Sauce comes from (of all places) … Red Lobster Restaurant. I don’t think it’s on the menu anymore, but it was my semi-vegan option there. The sauce was something I was determined to recreate for all of my fellow vegans out there. And it worked!
The ingredients are simple. Zucchini, yellow squash, shallots, mushrooms and red peppers. You could use red onions as the original did, but I encourage you to try grilled shallots. They are so much sweeter and practically melt in your mouth. I could eat them like candy 🙂
When prepping the veggies, the most important thing is to make sure they are similar in size. In retrospect, I might cut the zucchini a bit smaller. The yellow squash did just fine, but I felt the zucchini could go another few minutes when everything else had already finished.
I lightly oiled the vegetables and seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook for about 8-10 minutes on the first side, flip and repeat.
Meanwhile, I cooked up a batch of wild rice and pilaf. If you’ve been following me for any length of time, you know I like to mix my rice blends. Use whatever rice you love.
Ok, on to the star of this show! Beurre blanc literally translates to “white butter” – basically a hot emulsified butter sauce made with a white wine, lemon juice and shallot reduction. Of course we’ll be using vegan margarine. Earth Balance Buttery Sticks are just my absolute favorite. They work perfectly for just about every application – every single time. Non-dairy margarine is getting increasingly more readily available.
This sauce couldn’t be any easier. Shallots are very finely diced. They, along with white wine and lemon juice, are added to a non-reactive sauce pan and reduced by half. To that, we cut the vegan margarine into little pieces and whisk as we gradually add them to the reduction. Takes literally just a few minutes.
Now before you get too nervous about the vegan margarine in this recipe, keep in mind it’s more than enough for 6-8 skewers. You just need a drizzle.
A quick note before we continue, not all wines are created equal. Many are unfortunately NOT vegan-friendly. My favorite go-to resource is Barnivore.com where you can find one that is.
Once the veggies skewers are finished cooking, I serve them over rice. The restaurant served them with flour tortillas on the side. This is optional.
Another optional step is to cut a lemon in half and grill it for just a few minutes. The flavor it adds is just amazing.
Speaking of grilled lemons… Looking for a lemonade to go with your grilled veggies? This Grilled Lemonade has been one of my most popular recipes to date! I also did this Sweet Pink Watermelon Lemonade which was so good.
Before you go, why not check out some of our recent videos and be sure to subscribe to the YouTube Channel! 🙂
Grilled Vegetable Skewers with Vegan Lemon Beurre Blanc Sauce
- FOR THE BEURRE BLANC SAUCE:
- 1-2 Shallots finely minced
- 1/2 C White Wine vegan-friendly
- 2 Tbl Lemon Juice
- 6 Tbl Vegan Margarine
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- FOR THE SKEWERS:
- 1 pieces Medium Zucchini cut into 1"
- 1 pieces Medium Yellow Squash cut into 1"
- Baby Portobello Mushrooms cleaned & stems trimmed
- 1 pieces Red Pepper cut into 1"
- Medium-sized Shallots skins removed & ends trimmed
- FOR SERVING:
- Rice of your choosing
- Flour Tortillas optional
- Grilled Lemons
- Prep all of your vegetables and skewer them. The order doesn't really matter, but I try to make sure it presents well with alternating colors.
- Preheat the grill. You could also do this indoors on a grill pan.
- Lightly oil the veggies and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill each side 8-10 minutes.
- While the veggies are grilling, prepare the rice according to manufacturer's instructions.
- For the sauce, add the white wine, lemon juice and shallots to a heavy saucepan. Reduce the liquid by half.
- While whisking, add small amounts of the vegan margarine to the reduction until emulsified.
- Serve the skewers over the rice and give a drizzle of the sauce. You don't need much.
- Flour tortillas are optional.
- Finish with a squeeze of grilled lemon.