What a classic summer side dish! Green beans are fresh, in season and in conjunction with the flavor combination of tomatoes and seasoned onions, this Italian Green Beans Recipe is just so delicious. Let’s make this.
How to make my Italian Green Beans Recipe
You’ll need just a handful of ingredients to make this recipe. They include:
- 1/2 pound fresh Green Beans, trimmed, washed and cut
- 14 oz can of Diced Tomatoes with their juices
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Italian Seasoning
- White or Yellow Onion (not a red or sweet onion such as Vidalia)
- a neutral flavored Cooking Oil
How to steam fresh green beans
When using fresh green beans, you’ll want to trim the ends and thoroughly wash them. Strain out any excess water and cut in half (or thirds depending on size).
I steamed them and rinsed with cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
Meanwhile, in a saute pan over medium high heat, add oil, onions, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Saute until the onions just start to become translucent.
Add an entire can of diced (or petite diced) tomatoes along with all of the juices.
Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens.
Now add your steamed green beans and toss well to combine.
Taste for seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if necessary.
Did you make my recipe for Italian Green Beans? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Italian Green Beans Recipe
- 1/2 lb Fresh Green Beans trimmed, rinsed and cut
- 1/2 c Onion diced
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning or to taste
- 15 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes with juices
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prep the green beans and then steam until crisp tender.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a skillet over medium high heat and saute onion, garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Add diced tomatoes with the juices and cook to reduce and thicken.
- Add the steamed green beans to the tomato mixture, tossing to coat. Serve warm.