There are many versions of chickpea salad sandwiches on the web. In fact, you can even find another version I did here. But when I tried mashed chickpeas with avocado mayonnaise, I was sold! The avocado really adds so much to the recipe. Not two ingredients I would have necessarily put together, but somehow it just works. This little Mashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich packs loads of flavor.
The mashed chickpeas (I like to leave some whole for a little texture and of course, aesthetic appeal) are combined with avocado, parsley, lemon juice, green onions, celery, a small amount of vegan mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
I layered the chickpea salad onto a lettuce-line roll (add a bit more mayo if desired) and top with slices of tomato. I like to season the tomatoes with salt and pepper as well.
If you are looking for a super simple & nutritious vegan vegsubstitute for chicken or tuna, this Mashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich is the one for you!
Do you have your own version of this sandwich? What are your favorite add-ins? Let me know in the comments section below 🙂
Mashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich
- 1 Can of Chickpeas drained and rubbed between paper towels to remove the skins
- 1 medium Avocado diced
- 2 Tbl Italian Flat-Leaf Parsley
- 1 Tbl Vegan Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbl Green Onion
- 1 Tbl Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbl Celery diced finely
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Lettuce leaves & tomatoes for serving
- Drain, rinse and rub chickepeas between paper towels to remove the skins. They make for a really unsightly salad otherwise.
- Mash the chickpeas with the avocado, leaving some chickpeas intact for texture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and gently fold to combine.
- Spread vegan mayonnaise onto a roll, topping with the lettuce, chickpea salad and slices of tomato.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately. Any leftover salad will stay in a refrigerated sealed container for several days.