Penne with Asparagus and Mushrooms
- 12 ounces Mini Penne Pasta
- 4 tablespoons vegan Margarine divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots about 4
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms stemmed, sliced
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 pound asparagus tough ends trimmed, cut crosswise in thirds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives optional
- 4 ounces of vegan parmesan cheese
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Do not overcook. Drain. Transfer pasta to large bowl.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté 1 minute. Add mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Sauté mushroom mixture until soft. Add lemon juice; cook another minute. Add broth and lemon peel. Bring to boil, then reduce to medium and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 6 minutes. Add asparagus to mushroom mixture; simmer until asparagus turns bright green, about 2 minutes. Add chives and remaining 2 tablespoons butter and stir until butter melts. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour sauce over pasta; toss to coat. Top with shaved Parmesan and serve.